Is There A Difference...

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie

Reaction score
between a jackass and a donkey? Or are they the same thing? Just curious. I noticed yesterday that my latest addition, Lil' Paint, has no Bethlehem cross on his back. He's my only donk with out one.

Lammie":10v2zpqv said:
between a jackass and a donkey? Or are they the same thing? Just curious. I noticed yesterday that my latest addition, Lil' Paint, has no Bethlehem cross on his back. He's my only donk with out one.

Does this mean I'm a new Papa? :shock:

warpaint":3gx8pc5m said:
Lammie":3gx8pc5m said:

Does this mean I'm a new Papa? :shock:

You know, we hadn't really chosen a name for him. I was out one day and was looking at his markings. Not spotted, more painted. I did think of you, Warpaint, and I started calling him Lil' Paint, after you. Thing is, he seems to like the name. Yesterday, I was out in the pasture and I called out "Lil' Paint!", and he ran from the hay ring to see me. I have had donks that knew their names, but I have never had one to run to me like that.

I think he likes me cause I finally took off his halter the other day. He didn't like it very much, but I needed to get him broke to it.

Congrats! You're an uncle, anyway!

Think "jackass"refers to the stallions,and donkey is the group,like horses.."jenny" would be the mares...

I thought that the term "Jack" in jackass might refer to the male. I guess I was wondering about the term "ass" in general when referring to donkeys.

My males are Jacks, females are Jennies, or jennets. A jennie foaling for the first time is a maiden jennet. Castrated males are johns. That's what we say, anyway.

Anyone want a miniature donkey? Great for kids! :)

Lammie":3b95i50y said:

Bethlehem cross????????????? What's that?

Horticattleman":9wjjj10k said:
Lammie":9wjjj10k said:

Darker hair down the spine and across the withers.. some have it,some don't..

Horticattleman":338iyari said:
Lammie":338iyari said:

Secilian donkeys have a cross that is of darker hair than their coats and goes between the withers and down the back. It is supposed to be where Mary sat when she was on her way to Bethlehem. All donkeys of that breed after that were supposed to have that cross. All mine do, but not Lil' Paint.

Lammie":24njaocg said:
Secilian donkeys have a cross that is of darker hair than their coats and goes between the withers and down the back. It is supposed to be where Mary sat when she was on her way to Bethlehem. All donkeys of that breed after that were supposed to have that cross. All mine do, but not Lil' Paint.

When I was a squirt we called the ones with the mark Sicilian donkeys and eventually we just considered anything with that marking a donkey and those whitout to be j-asses

dun":3p1e9scx said:
Lammie":3p1e9scx said:

When I was a squirt we called the ones with the mark Sicilian donkeys and eventually we just considered anything with that marking a donkey and those whitout to be j-asses

That's interesting. I have never heard that one before.

Latest posts