IS THERE A BETTER CROSS ?

Help Support CattleToday:

AngusX Herefords(black or red)...I like the black ones...What grandpa had 50 years ago....I think mine are better than his little ones... A termerial cross of any Simm,Limm,Gel, Brangus, would make some good calves, and good eating......

HAY MAKER":pncybf5k said:
Limiousin bulls on angus cows..............good luck

Well of course there is Hereford bull in Brangus cows you get growth out of this world and they always ring the bell at the salebarn. Secondly you get the best of both worlds British cattle and Brimmers.

Old Shanghi knew what he was doing.

Some of the most productive units I've seen were HerefordxFriesian ( Holstein) crossed with a Simmental - but Im sure a Charolais or a Gelbvieh would have done just as well as the Simmi.
This was in New Zealand - are any of you using dairy x beef cows in the US ?

Goddy

3MR":2epc9s1p said:
OKJeanne":2epc9s1p said:
"If you are selling beef you need the cross"

IMO any breed or program can benefit from heterosis. Purebreds might do well, but I bet they would have done better with the benefit of heterosis. Thats all I was saying.

Maybe I should have said, if you are selling beef you could benefit from the cross.

3MR - if you are back from Korea now, you should come
to see us when you get the chance.

interesting Dun. Sort of goes against what has been considered truth in the past.

Truth by who, 3MR? The Angus and Hereford Associations?

Well, the Herefords finally wised up about 4 years ago.

The Angus still tries to convert to the "Angus only" way of thinking.

Everybody else has talked about crossbreeding for going on 40 years. Of course, in the early 70's the Continentals tried to go from crossbreeding to straightbreeding, and now they are back to crossbreeding, but it has been under the surface the whole time.

Well, I guess the Angus were crossbreeding in the 70's too. So, they went from straightbred to crossbred, and now they are all about straightbred again.

Badlands

OK Jeanne":17362llw said:
3MR":17362llw said:
OKJeanne":17362llw said:
"If you are selling beef you need the cross"

IMO any breed or program can benefit from heterosis. Purebreds might do well, but I bet they would have done better with the benefit of heterosis. Thats all I was saying.

Maybe I should have said, if you are selling beef you could benefit from the cross.

3MR - if you are back from Korea now, you should come
to see us when you get the chance.

Im Back and Id love to come see you guys, if I ever get caught up. Everytime I think I am something new comes up that snaps me back to the reality of just how many hours really are in the day.

Badlands":39wh420a said:
interesting Dun. Sort of goes against what has been considered truth in the past.

Truth by who, 3MR? The Angus and Hereford Associations?

Well, the Herefords finally wised up about 4 years ago.

The Angus still tries to convert to the "Angus only" way of thinking.

Everybody else has talked about crossbreeding for going on 40 years. Of course, in the early 70's the Continentals tried to go from crossbreeding to straightbreeding, and now they are back to crossbreeding, but it has been under the surface the whole time.

Well, I guess the Angus were crossbreeding in the 70's too. So, they went from straightbred to crossbred, and now they are all about straightbred again.

Badlands

Badlands - Huh? I think you need to re-read the post in context with my previus post. I was infering the benefit of heterosis has generally been accepted as the truth. Not that the accepted truth was in-line with the listed study.

Regardless, The Angus association has always, to my knowledge, promoted Angus as a cross or pure. I dont see this study as changing that stance.

But, wiht that said, I still think heterosis will help in a beef herd, one study isnt going to change my mind, but it does make you think. If nothing else, it shows heterosis has different levels of benefit based upon the previous genetic makeup of the effected herd.

3MR":1kdwxbkg said:
If nothing else, it shows heterosis has different levels of benefit based upon the previous genetic makeup of the effected herd.

Yes, I find that using a true f1 cow ( 2 pure breeds crossed ) bred to a pure bred bull of a separate breed all together show the most calf improvement ie. WW, YW

I find that a number of cattlemen will say they have f1 cows but then will tell you they are a Hereford Angus cross with maybe a bit of Char or Limo a few cows back. Or I have f1 cows Hereford cross Angus and I breed them to a Hereford or Angus bull.

Nether way gives you the full benefit of heterosis

Limomike":1lk33pcx said:
HAY MAKER":1lk33pcx said:
Limiousin bulls on angus cows..............good luck

I'm not saying this is the best cross, but why good luck?
http://www.nalf.org/limflex.html

Mike,Im thinking anyone using Limiousin bulls on good angus cows will have good luck, I have raised brangus for many years,just thinking about slowly going the Limiousin/angus route,just replaced my bulls with Limiousin,going to be intersting to see how they do on these brangus cows.................good luck

steerhorn":plzop739 said:
Ever just consider the "Beefmaster" breed? You won't get the "black", but just about everything else you're after.
i hate to say this but if you want black.you can get that with a black beefmaster bull.

bigbull338":1iwr5yzl said:
steerhorn":1iwr5yzl said:
Ever just consider the "Beefmaster" breed? You won't get the "black", but just about everything else you're after.
i hate to say this but if you want black.you can get that with a black beefmaster bull.

Yes there are some nice black beef masters availible,as a matter of fact the color black is showing up in alot of breeds,wont be long till MikeC can get his hands on a black Charolais :D :D :D ..............good luck