IS THERE A BETTER CROSS ?

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboyup216":39533w3g said:
yeah I would say gelbvieh bulls on angus. Im going to go out on a limb here and even say possibly salers bull on angus. The Gelbvieh will milk heavier than limousin.

The lim will put more muscle on though. Its all on what you are going for.

Yeah, any of the above on a Baldie cow.

No use crossbreeding if the mama isn't crossbred herself.

We crossbreed for the cow's not the calves.

Badlands

cowboyup216":3l9toyty said:
yeah I would say gelbvieh bulls on angus. Im going to go out on a limb here and even say possibly salers bull on angus. The Gelbvieh will milk heavier than limousin.

I want to see some pics of Gelbveigh bulls and the calves out of that cross. I dont ever get to because there just isnt any Gelbveigh whatsoever where I live or anywhere that I know of. I bet they look good.

Badlands":2lwqgke9 said:

Your going to have to explain that one to me.

If the mamma was already a cross, then it wouldnt be cross breading in my opinion.

Badlands":2a2kyat6 said:

Badlands

Exactly, the big gain in heterosis is in the crossbred female. Typically, she lives longer, milks better, breeds back quicker, and is hardier than the avg of the two purebreeds that produced her. IF we are shooting for pure pounds of retail product, the best cross (in my opinion) is Charolais bulls on black baldie cows.

Brandonm2":keuc5k58 said:
Badlands":keuc5k58 said:

Badlands

Exactly, the big gain in heterosis is in the crossbred female. Typically, she lives longer, milks better, breeds back quicker, and is hardier than the avg of the two purebreeds that produced her. IF we are shooting for pure pounds of retail product, the best cross (in my opinion) is Charolais bulls on black baldie cows.

How are you going to get that cross if you dont cross a momma. If you are selling commercial replacments you need to make the original cross. If you are selling beef you need to use the cross.

3MR":2oduxot5 said:
How are you going to get that cross if you dont cross a momma. If you are selling commercial replacments you need to make the original cross. If you are selling beef you need to use the cross.

I don't understand your question. Two breeds cross to produce the female cross and a terminal sire of a third breed is used to produce the market cross. One cross to produce the best females you can get and a second cross to produce the most beef you can get. The first is a two breed cross and the third is a three breed cross. IF you were trying to produce CAB carcasses you could substitute Angus x Black Gelbvieh (Balancers?) as the terminal sire.

Im sorry, I wasnt responding directly to you. I was making a response to badlands based upon what you said. Some times I am about as clear as mud. I agree with you, and maybe thats what badlands originally meant.

To me, when people are talking about crosses they are referring to the first cross, unless otherwise specified, with the intent of raising a replacment.

Most commercial cattle out there are crosses of some sort already anyway.

You got my point 3MR.

I have looked at, worked at, researched or reviewed hundreds of commercial beef operations over the last 18 years.

I have never found 1 that would benefit from straightbred cows.

On your point of most cows being crossbred. It depends.

If you talk to the guy wanting to buy black calves, then the cows are Black Angus, since they are 7/8ths or more Angus, several generations deep.

If you are trying to talk to the same guy about moving him into crossbreeding, instead of straight-breeding, he will say his cows are already crossbred and doesn't need heterosis!

Same cows, two different answers. If they have a speck of white, they get bred Black.

Badlands

"If you are selling beef you need the cross"

I did not understand that statement.

We sell purebred Murray Grey beef as well as beef
from steers that had Angus,etc dams and Murray
Grey sires. The cross calves have always done
very well with gain, etc; but so have the purebred.
To us, the beef direct sales business is dependant
on tender beef---every time for every customer.

OKJeanne":2edul8dj said:
"If you are selling beef you need the cross"

I did not understand that statement.

We sell purebred Murray Grey beef as well as beef
from steers that had Angus,etc dams and Murray
Grey sires. The cross calves have always done
very well with gain, etc; but so have the purebred.
To us, the beef direct sales business is dependant
on tender beef---every time for every customer.

IMO any breed or program can benefit from heterosis. Purebreds might do well, but I bet they would have done better with the benefit of heterosis. Thats all I was saying.

Maybe I should have said, if you are selling beef you could benefit from the cross.

interesting Dun. Sort of goes against what has been considered truth in the past.

3MR":1e7yldne said:
interesting Dun. Sort of goes against what has been considered truth in the past.

Might be a case of figures don;t lie but liars figure

Latest posts