Is the hardiness of cattle breeds ruined?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ebenezer":28vg8pf7 said:
Just being honest. Folks are always asking questions that have no basis. And if we really want to be honest, the story of the bison has not really been the same for eons if we read up on something other than what has been re-written for history. An eye opener: a book titled 1491.

How would you ever compare unmanaged Spanish decent cattle on a range to selected animals in an intensive grazing program? Do the folks who ask these questions also keep their kids out of public school because they get no immunizations for them? Sort of a re-occurring question for no real start or finish. Personally, I'd prefer to own and perpetuate live cattle and livestock.

Totally agree.

msplmtneer":2il0e98t said:
What about the Adams family in south Florida that started Braford they run 10,000 or so cattle 98% of their only see humans like once or twice a year and their cattle are hardy and healthy also the Morman Ranch in central Fl they run veI belive about 20,000 head they do not work their cattle like some people do it is survival of the fittest I am sure they have some system to see which cows calve every year but that would be about all.
Not that I don't agree with what you've said but,You'd be surprised ...I've heard of some of those old cows that drop dead on their way to the catch pen ...running that many head ain't no big loss, for those outfits..it took Adams some time before they found what would work for them..some of their first attempts melted like snowballs.before the landed on the Braford ..I'm sure you'll see plenty of bones laying around here and there...if I Lose one, my whole world comes apart :cowboy:

True Grit Farms":2u8haxrh said:
With all the different vaccination and worming protocols, people supplementing cattle with feed and minerals have we have taken the hardiness out of the cattle breeds? We have definitely made it easy for cattle to be able to survive and reproduce even if their not hardy. Sometimes I feel we're our own worst enemy.
No more so than we've also affected our own ability to survive, flourish, and multiply.

TexasBred":bzkv8cma said:
True Grit Farms":bzkv8cma said:
With all the different vaccination and worming protocols, people supplementing cattle with feed and minerals have we have taken the hardiness out of the cattle breeds? We have definitely made it easy for cattle to be able to survive and reproduce even if their not hardy. Sometimes I feel we're our own worst enemy.
No more so than we've also affected our own ability to survive, flourish, and multiply.
Pretty much right , we ate dirt, lead paint, rode bikes without helmets and much much more , and we're still here . As crusty as we may be , we have survived .

TexasBred":2ivpqwjd said:
True Grit Farms":2ivpqwjd said:
Maybe we've just at some point, began to view our livestock similar to how we view ourselves?

I'm pretty sure, if ticks were to suddenly return to this area like they were in the mid 60s, the cattle here wouldn't be able to cope worth a crap even with modern anti parasitic treatment, much less just running them thru a vat once/year.

Vince

I meant to ask you! You started this thread. Is this subject just a curiosity or are there issues occurring in your herd that indicate a lack of hardiness - such as poor condition, feet problems, disease, etc?

Bright Raven":6voizlak said:
Vince

I meant to ask you! You started this thread. Is this subject just a curiosity or are there issues occurring in your herd that indicate a lack of hardiness - such as poor condition, feet problems, disease, etc?
No problems in our herd besides the cows only have one calf a year.

True Grit Farms":2o884lcy said:
Bright Raven":2o884lcy said:
Vince

Mine have the same issue. Dam Simmentals.

TennesseeTuxedo":1jce5hnl said:
Calving problems?
Lost two calves in a row this year, first dead calves in 3 years. And we haven't lost a cow in 9 years. Our calving success is 97.4% for the last 10 years, we breed for live calves not high weaning weights. At least a third of our herd is sale barn cows that I bought and have weeded through, it's better to be lucky than good.
Y'all have some nice cattle, but acre for acre we make more money off our land than most. I don't do this for the sport of it.

True Grit Farms":ylc5ax6m said:
Bright Raven":ylc5ax6m said:
Vince

guess it's a good thing that they do.. Can you imagine the market..bad enough with my sparse offerings

Latest posts