Is Red that much worse than black?

Help Support CattleToday:

bird dog":6356zzyz said:
One thing you have is buyers who have customers for only black or black baldy animals. Farmer Fred tells the buyer, I need 100 black steers for wheat. What's he going to buy? These customers tilt the demand for black calves which drives up the price a few cents. The Angus Association has done a phenomenal job promoting their product. You see the discount more at the smaller sales. The big sale barns have more buyers with customers that will accept a good calf of any color.

I agree 100%. Order buyers purchase what ever their customers say they want. Somewhere across these great United States, someone has put out an order for some 250 lb Jersey heifers to feed. You can put a blue eye or a bobtail on them, just make sure they are cheap. I never could figure out why some buyers had orders that called for black or yellow calves only on the same order.

I do not see as much premium for black calves as we did 6 or 7 years ago. That could be because everyone has them now.

I'm trying to use the sale barn as a last resort. Try to sell truck loads direct. My main issue is I'm wanting to buy a couple Gel Bulls, and I think I can get a better deal on red ones of identical quality. The homo blacks seem to be in higher demand. I'll be covering black brangus and angus plus cows.

BC":19hsry0l said:
bird dog":19hsry0l said:
One thing you have is buyers who have customers for only black or black baldy animals. Farmer Fred tells the buyer, I need 100 black steers for wheat. What's he going to buy? These customers tilt the demand for black calves which drives up the price a few cents. The Angus Association has done a phenomenal job promoting their product. You see the discount more at the smaller sales. The big sale barns have more buyers with customers that will accept a good calf of any color.

I agree 100%. Order buyers purchase what ever their customers say they want. Somewhere across these great United States, someone has put out an order for some 250 lb Jersey heifers to feed. You can put a blue eye or a bobtail on them, just make sure they are cheap. I never could figure out why some buyers had orders that called for black or yellow calves only on the same order.

I do not see as much premium for black calves as we did 6 or 7 years ago. That could be because everyone has them now.

Not everyone.

I did really well with the red Gelbveih bull pictured in my avatar.. I'm not fond of black cattle, the reds are nicer to look at, and the buyers liked the calves just fine.. always got above average and topped a couple sales with his calves...

Also got more than I paid for him after I used him for 5 years.. he made me some money :)

Latest posts