Is one 14 gauge wire enough to deliver voltage?

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
Is one 14 gauge hot wire enough to deliver voltage to a half mile of 2 wire fence. The single strand will go 1/8th of a mile before it gets to the 2 wire fence. Not sure of the power of the charger but it is a Zareba 50 mile AC charger. Wanting to run it from the house instead of buying solar if possible. I already had the Zareba charger.

no problem at all.. with electric fencers, they really don't put out much current, and current is what needs large diameter wires.. Weeds, shorts, and breaks are your enemy

BK9954":pax7f7k6 said:
Is one 14 gauge hot wire enough to deliver voltage to a half mile of 2 wire fence. The single strand will go 1/8th of a mile before it gets to the 2 wire fence. Not sure of the power of the charger but it is a Zareba 50 mile AC charger. Wanting to run it from the house instead of buying solar if possible. I already had the Zareba charger.

Insulated or bare?

Nesikep":sntfppyc said:
Only reason I got heavier (12.5ga) is to the deer bounce off it!
I could do 12.5 for the single wire. That single wire will be running along a barbed wire fence. I am using the insulators that hold the wire 5 inches off the post.

BK9954":eistm5cr said:
Nesikep":eistm5cr said:
Only reason I got heavier (12.5ga) is to the deer bounce off it!
I could do 12.5 for the single wire. That single wire will be running along a barbed wire fence. I am using the insulators that hold the wire 5 inches off the post.

Your going to curse deer with that kind of setup. Been there, done that. Ideal set up is 12.5 on a 2nd completely offset fence.

Heck after buying post and wire I might as well spend the money a solar charger and battery and forget running the wire, right? I already have some back uo new solar panels. The single wire might not be cost effective.

BK9954":3kqco399 said:
Heck after buying post and wire I might as well spend the money a solar charger and battery and forget running the wire, right? I already have some back uo new solar panels. The single wire might not be cost effective.

Now you're thinking.

my staffix charger broke the other day so i ran to TSC and bought one of those zabrea's or whatever. wow.. that was a 100 dollar paperweight.

hurried and got another tru test one here

Yes, I had that setup for a long time and we only used 20ga soft wire... I cursed those deer on a daily basis.. Finally (after 15 years of mending), I got pizzed off and tore it all down (OK, some of it got wrapped up in the mower first).. I have 2 battery powered chargers now and a couple weaker car batteries.. they last a few weeks without problem, and I change their pasture more often than that anyhow.. works for me.

With my hog hunting lights I use marine deep cycle batteries with a LARGE solar panel made for charging RV's when they are parked. Those betteries have lasted up to 2 years. The fence is going to pull more power but may last longer then the car batteries. The batteries are the same sizzme as a car battery. If they only lasted 2 weeks I could only let the cattle graze 1 week at a time without getting nervous.

Latest posts