Is now a good time to buy calves?

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave":3g2vt4rq said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3g2vt4rq said:
Sounds like an interesting strategy Toad. No mention of buying calves that I see.

I did that for years. It always worked for me. I am close enough to get older cows out of the high desert country. They don't have the teeth or legs to work in that country. But they didn't get to be that old by not raising a good calf. I put them out on grass like they had never seen before. The calves grow big. The cows put on weight. And I empty the pasture in the late summer/early fall.

Thanks Dave. I also have been buying thin cows, I don't think I've had a cow yet that didn't gain weight and raise a decent calf.

I also did like Bigfoot and kept a bull out with them. Some of the more youthful looking ones could be sold as bred cows in the fall. The other advantage is once they aren't coming into heat and shaking up the herd.

A few years back I saw an opportunity in buying heifers, breeding them, and selling as bred heifers. This really worked for me. I actually made more money with less work or risk. Now with the market I have been riding the fence. Do I buy a bunch of heifers or go find a bunch of older bred cows? I did buy some heifers back before Christmas because they were so cheap so I guess I have made up my mind. Generally the best advise is to look at what I am doing and do the opposite.

Dave":19ybdvtg said:
I did buy some heifers back before Christmas because they were so cheap so I guess I have made up my mind. Generally the best advise is to look at what I am doing and do the opposite.

OK. I ordered a pot belly for next week.

Latest posts