is my Nitrogen gone?

Help Support CattleToday:

xbredcattle

Reaction score
I put 100#/acre of Amm. N and some potash 3 weeks ago - southern La. We've had 1 shower in that 3 weeks and daily temps above 100degrees.....grass is starting to burn up...any chance there will be some growth still if we get some rain soon?

A.n is pretty stable, but if you didn't get enough rain to green up, I would be concerned.
Play it smart, do a soil test.

Yeah it doesn't burn up like urea does. Its just waiting on water. Heavy rainfall can carry it away, but otherwise its armed and ready to go to work.

You're experiencing the downside to commercial fertilize. When it turns hot and dry after application it will accelerate the burning up of your grass.

fenceman":3kl9zd1r said:
A.n is pretty stable, but if you didn't get enough rain to green up, I would be concerned.
Play it smart, do a soil test.
Most soil test I see. Don't tell what nitrogen you have in the soil just recommend for your crop. Reason I was told is that n can change real quick. As to the post I doubt is gone.

Haven't bought fertilizer since spring . but you can bet it will be around 500 a ton , soil test is 10 dollars. Do as you please. :tiphat:

The nitrogen recommendation is crop specific and the same on any and every soil test. Soil test in Ga. only $6. :lol2:
Why are we even talking about a soil test? He asked if the N from ammonium nitrate can be lost to due to lack of meteorological activity and the answer is no.