Is my bull too short to breed Cow?

Help Support CattleToday:

ufo_chris

Reaction score
I have a very tall Highland heifer and a very short (15 month old) Bull.
I was worried if he could breed her but people told me 'where there's a will ,there's a way'!
Well ,she was in a standing heat and he tried but could not reach at all!
He's about 1 foot shorter and when he tries to mount her you can see it's not gonna work.
Now, I could have come upon the scene late ,I'm thinking maybe he tried harder the first time, pulled up a chair or something... :lol2:
Ok ,seriously, do you think he should be able to breed her?
And at 15 month ,he should be near his final height,right?
I'm thinking he has those small Highland genes or even a mini!
I seen his Parents and they were both big . :help:

Let him try for three months; if he does not succed, there are other bulls.
Also, you will notice when the heifer is no longer cycling. :nod:

I have never had a problem with short bulls. He will get the job done.

Turn him in and tell him not to breed her and see how well he listens :)

BRG":31cmce8x said:
Turn him in and tell him not to breed her and see how well he listens :)

He will get the job done.... :nod:

Worried last year about the same thing? Young small framed bull, who worked at night?
Bred his entire group in 30 days. Excited about the new job.

If your bull is a Highland I know where your coming from - they can be short & slow growing little sods. Put your heifer & bull in a paddock with a slope or hills your bull should be able to get her bred

Hey,I was thinking along that way already! Put them in the back pasture which is verry hilly,but I watched them there awhile too. But like I said, maybe he was too worn out already when I started watching...or gunshy :lol2:

I once heard (didn't see it, so who knows if it is true) of a lowline bull working a charolais cow over to a tank dam and getting the job done. I agree with the previous posters, put them in an unlevel pasture and I bet he does his job.

If he is short but long, it should be no problem. I have also seen bulls jump up about 1/2 a foot off the ground and do the deal on really tall cows. They will find a way to get the job done ,especially if they are in a pen they weren't supposed to be in, with tall Holsteins that you were planning on AI'ing that day. ;-)

If she keeps coming into heat then you need to worry.

ufo_chris":7dvhjn12 said:
I have a very tall Highland heifer and a very short (15 month old) Bull.
I was worried if he could breed her but people told me 'where there's a will ,there's a way'!
Well ,she was in a standing heat and he tried but could not reach at all!
He's about 1 foot shorter and when he tries to mount her you can see it's not gonna work.
Now, I could have come upon the scene late ,I'm thinking maybe he tried harder the first time, pulled up a chair or something... :lol2:
Ok ,seriously, do you think he should be able to breed her?
And at 15 month ,he should be near his final height,right?
I'm thinking he has those small Highland genes or even a mini!
I seen his Parents and they were both big . :help:

Well, lets just put it this way - I know of several people who put a smaller bull in with their heifers/cows thinking that the bull was too small to breed said cows/heifers. Lo and behold, those heifers and cows turned up bred!

UPDATE:
Well I was hoping and all your answerers were encouraging but the heifer has come into heat twice now. :(
She was checked by my vet to make sure she's ok.
I'll keep you updated!

update:
Just had two calves from him! Took him a while (8 month) but he got the job done! Nice calves too,one bull and one Heifer.
Daddy is still on the small side!
(but he did grow some more so I'm sure that helped!!!)

There is a couple here in town that I see at the grocery store from time to time. She is about 6ft 4in tall (I have to look up to her and I am 6ft) and he is about 4 ft 11 in. I had to snap a pic last week when I saw them walking down the store isle. He literally does not come to her shoulder. They ride a motorcycle every where they go. And that is a hilarious sight. :lol:

Isomade":24r1c37c said:
There is a couple here in town that I see at the grocery store from time to time. She is about 6ft 4in tall (I have to look up to her and I am 6ft) and he is about 4 ft 11 in. I had to snap a pic last week when I saw them walking down the store isle. He literally does not come to her shoulder. They ride a motorcycle every where they go. And that is a hilarious sight. :lol:
Only reason he married her probably was because somebody put him up to it. :lol2: :lol2:

Keren":ldhxrgdb said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsOD6jj0ldM

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsOD6jj0ldM[/youtube]

lecturer showed us this in my reproduction class, as an example of a bull too short to breed the cow

:lol2:
Keren that is not a failed mating. He did his job...watch her tail go up.....however , it is very very poor form and I'm sure she was ashamed of him. :lol2: