Is milk weed considered noxious for cattle.

Help Support CattleToday:

noxious? dam thats a fancy word. you mean can it hurt or kill em? naw, i think milkweed is real good for most cattle. really puts the pounds on them. but i think i seen some real proof, you know unversity studies and marc reports and such that you like, that said them Salers cattle cant handle it at all. weak belly and system i guess. must be another of the reasons that hardly none of us idiots and numnuts wants to raise them ornery beasts. but my memory might be a little shaky on that research. its so hard for an old boy like me to concentrate real good when talking over the internet to such a badass like you. makes me shake all over. now please dont go tattletale to mr. macon on me. ;-)

I aint gonna tattletell to noone on here. No need to be a smartass either. See thats why I get so mad. Cuz people on here all act like smartasses or come up with some stupid remark or try and rag on another mans stuff. Having said that Im walking away from this one so as to be the better man although Ive fought and beaten many a man in my life and would do so again at the drop of a hat because I like it. In my younger days I fought anyone anywhere anytime. Im still game for good confrontations even at my ripe old age of 55. So let me tell you something I really dont give a rats ass what anyone on this board thinks. I just came on here cuz I thought I would enjoy it but its because of clowns like you that I dont like being on here. Ill bet half of you arent even farmers you just come in here and talk a bunch of mess and dont really even have a farm. Which if you really did have a farm I wouldnt give a rats ass makes no difference to me either way. You pissed me off earlier so I felt the need to blast you. Just cohabitat with me and dont have a smartass remark for everything everyone has to say and things will go alot smoother for everyone.

What does your milkweed look like? The picture in that link isn't what we call milkweed either.

On the USDA Plants database there are 90 varietys of plant called milk weed.
We have two types around here. One has an orange flower mass and I don;t recall the color of flower on the other but it grows a huge pod full of seeds.

dun

dun":21wpaql5 said:
On the USDA Plants database there are 90 varietys of plant called milk weed.
We have two types around here. One has an orange flower mass and I don;t recall the color of flower on the other but it grows a huge pod full of seeds.

dun

The second one sounds like we have. Tall (about hip high), thick - maybe a 1/4" across - stem, with big leaves that are stiff and form kind of a 'U' shape. Grows mostly where there is good water, irrigation ditch banks, low spots that collect water, etc. I want to say the flowers are pink, but never paid that much attention to the flowers, just the plant so it would be nailed as soon as spotted.

CommercialCattleManTN":334zxfzj said:
I aint gonna tattletell to noone on here. No need to be a smartass either. See thats why I get so mad. Cuz people on here all act like smartasses or come up with some stupid remark or try and rag on another mans stuff. Having said that Im walking away from this one so as to be the better man although Ive fought and beaten many a man in my life and would do so again at the drop of a hat because I like it. In my younger days I fought anyone anywhere anytime. Im still game for good confrontations even at my ripe old age of 55. So let me tell you something I really dont give a rats ass what anyone on this board thinks. I just came on here cuz I thought I would enjoy it but its because of clowns like you that I dont like being on here. Ill bet half of you arent even farmers you just come in here and talk a bunch of mess and dont really even have a farm. Which if you really did have a farm I wouldnt give a rats ass makes no difference to me either way. You be nice me off earlier so I felt the need to blast you. Just cohabitat with me and dont have a smartass remark for everything everyone has to say and things will go alot smoother for everyone.
Are you that new Sheriff, that we are supposed to be getting? If so, you need to resign, before someone takes your badge off of you and takes your temperature with it.Like I told you before, you aint makin no friends here with your threats and bragging.My bet is you'll be history real soon.

Around here we have green milkweed

F291.jpg

and orange flowering or butterfly weed

F301.JPG

They are reportedly mildly toxic and unpalatable and I've never seen our cattle touch them. I have seen them browsed off occasionally but that could be deer or cottontails as well.

CommercialCattleManTN, we give so many names to different plants. Are you talking about the tall dark green plant that has a seed pod like a giant cockle burr? It has a white trumpet flower in the summer and the stalk is much like that of Polk salad? If that is the one you are speaking of, it is poisonus. They sell a cousin to it in the flower catalogs and it says that is definitely poisonous.

Seen that picture that the USDA shows as milkweed, that sure aint the plant we call milk weed around here!

Ours is waste tall, thick stem, has a huge seed pod, with seed attached to white fluff, that when you break open the pod, it pops out and flies all over the place.

The real tell tale sign is that when you break the stem, a thick white liquid comes out, thus milk.....

ok, it is noxious, yes,poison and is considered an desirable weed to livestock producers, but is also sold as seed to nature lovers, as it also attracts purty lil butterflies in great numbers.

Thus there is a push on by the tree huggers to make it a protected plant here. :p

as far as i know no milkweeds are safe to eat.
we have butterfly weed and a pink flowering milkweed, as well as the garden variety of butterfly weed that goes everywhere.

I think thats what we have here Beefy. It is supposed to be the plant that Monarch butterflys lay their eggs on. I have never seen anything eat it, maybe insects of some kind.