Is Ivermectin ok to use on 3 month old calf?

Help Support CattleToday:

ufo_chris

Reaction score
It does not really say on the package exept it goes by weight so it looks ok but I want to make sure. I searched this board and found it's ok to use on a nursing Cow but nothing about calves.
Should it even be done this early? Could I give my one 'wild ' calf Safeguard pellets instead so i don't have to traumatize him?
I need to deworm my 3 grown ones so I'm wondering about the 2 calfes.
Thanks so much!

Ivermectin is pretty safe for all ages. When we work our calves, they all get a shot of ivermectin, and they range in age from a few days to a couple months old the first time they are done. Never had a problem.

Thanks guys ,that helps!
What about long hair? I have Highlands and crosses,but I think I read somewhere that it gets absorbed through skin and hair? Does that sound right?
I'm just comparing with like frontline for dogs where they want you to get it on the skin.
I don't have a chute and they are not the tamest so it's basically a quick squirt down their back before they run away!
Thanks so much,
Chris

ufo_chris":3r9aofpv said:
I don't have a chute and they are not the tamest so it's basically a quick squirt down their back before they run away!
Thanks so much,
Chris

Get them between a gate and the fence. Makes it a lot easier to apply the invermectin uniformly!

Latest posts