Is It???

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds":171czp5x said:
I'm a night owl. I love looking up at the night sky and seeing all of the stars. Son loves setting up his telescope and looking at the moon, but that was blood red the last time I saw it.
I can't even see the Highwood and Bears Paw Mountains.

I'm with you, harvest the trees. Renewable resource. The idea of natural thing let it burn is nonsense.

It would be nice if the Forest Service could be treated like the Supreme Court and be immune to politics. Fire, when it is not wild, is a good thing and will prevent major blowups in the long run. Proper harvest techniques are good managmement tools as well.

By definintion, forestry is a science and good science is not determined by majority vote.

Fires really bad here - our home place is about 10 miles south (as the crow flies) of the Meriwether fire. At least the heat has died down and the humidity is higher - lot of dew the last couple of mornings. We just got 2nd cutting hay in - and it took almost 10 days in 90+ heat to get it to cure - 'cause the smoke was so thick there was no sun - just holds the humidity on the ground! the good news here is no fires (yet - fingers crossed) up where the cows are summered. A few years ago we had to evacuate them with the forest service closed the pasture for fires. But in their infinite wisdom - they wouldn't allow us up there with trucks to haul them out via the main road. We had to trail them on a secondary road 23 miles to the closest point we could get a semi - took 2 days to get them down. The next day there was a letter to the editor in the paper about the drive - somebody was complaining about the delay on the road " the rudeness and nerve of those who think they can play cowboy and stage a cattle drive down a scenic route they know will be used by tourists" I about fainted when I read that - like we were out just "playing cowboy"! We were trying to keep our livelihood from burning to death in a fire! It certainly was not our objective to inconvenience the tourists! But trailing 350+ cows & thier calves for 23 miles along the road in the heat and trying to keep the "tourists" from killing any of them wasn't anyones idea of a good time. We had help from the MHP and the sheriff's officers for traffic control. What a mess - I certainly wouldn't want a repeat of that summer!
I do appreciate the firefighters but have to questions others in government that don't seem to want to do anything when a fire is at 100 acres - they'd rather wait until it's 10,000 to start trying to control it.

sjr725 been watching that one, got a couple of deputies that I meet up with once in awhile for EMS training. Know a few others down there too.
Watching the Jocko too. Know a couple people there..
dang it I know people all over the state either fighting or threatened by these fires. Driving me crazy.
You know you can't have tourists driving through cow poo, it rots their tires.[sarcasm]
I'd rather follow a cow herd for miles rather then endanger the riders or the cattle.

Yep - super smoky here this morning. We're just keeping our fingers crossed that our cattle can stay on pasture until end of Sept.
Tourist season - don't get me started! That was what we refer to in our house as the year of the "batan death march" - it was my husb, son, myself and we could only round up about 5 other people to help - moving about 350 cows, their calves, a bunch of yearling heifers 23 miles - about half of it on a dirt logging road - not too bad, but the other half on a 2 lane highway with not near enough barrow ditch for that many animals - so we got the mhp and sherrif to help pretty much block traffic and keep it to one lane and us to the other lane and the ditch - that many cows that are already tired from the first day - don't exactly hurry! It took about 8 hours to get them 13 miles! they were sore footed, hungry, tired, hot and MEAN by the time we got them to the corrals and into the trucks to go home. then we had to really scramble to try to buy hay to feed them. We usually bring them home end of Sept and they can go out onto the hayfields by mid October after the calves ship, and we don't usually have to feed anything until January 1st - so we didn't have that much of a stockpile of hay to feed that many from July until the fields freeze up. We were fortunate though to be able to rent a fairly decent pasture from a guy that held about 1/2 of them for a pretty long time.
Where are you Herf?