Is it to late

Help Support CattleToday:

MillIronQH

Reaction score
in this part of the country to treat my tanks for the scum?

They've been mostly dry for the last two years and now they are full but scumming pretty bad.Z

If you're talking about an "earth" stock tank, the scum (algae) is related to algae spores and weather/temperature. Need to either aeriate with a fountain spray or put in copper sulfate or some of that very dark blue algaecide colorant--available as either concentrated liquid or crystals.

If you're talking about a "stock tank", then drain it, wash it out, fill with fresh water (as often as needed) and add some of the blue colorant to fresh water.

The blue colorant is ok for livestock (according to the directions on the package) and, it hasn't hurt our livestock any.

Running Arrow Bill":3jnkg4w8 said:
If you're talking about an "earth" stock tank, the scum (algae) is related to algae spores and weather/temperature. Need to either aeriate with a fountain spray or put in copper sulfate or some of that very dark blue algaecide colorant--available as either concentrated liquid or crystals.

If you're talking about a "stock tank", then drain it, wash it out, fill with fresh water (as often as needed) and add some of the blue colorant to fresh water.

The blue colorant is ok for livestock (according to the directions on the package) and, it hasn't hurt our livestock any.

RAB - excellent advice - but .... for heaven's sake do not buy a windmill for XXX dollars and cheap out by planning to assemble it yourself. Spend the extra hundred bucks and buy it assembled.

Those things come with seventeen billion screws, 21 million washers and instructions printed in every language but English.

Took me a week to get mine together.

Bez>

MillIronQH":3b0g6lek said:
in this part of the country to treat my tanks for the scum?

They've been mostly dry for the last two years and now they are full but scumming pretty bad.Z

Never tried it but wheat straw is suppose to take care of the scum in the ponds.

Thanks... I knew there were treatments for it but wondered about the time frame.

Bill this is for the "tanques". My old man made sure I had cleaning water troughs down to a fine art by the time I was about 10. :lol: :lol: :lol: Z

I use barley straw, one flake in a feed bag to keep algae out of the small fish runways.

I also throw a handful of pennies in the soap tanks at the car wash to help keep the tanks from getting scummy.

Scott

Latest posts