Is it time to be optomistic?

Help Support CattleToday:

john250

Reaction score
Dec. Corn closed at $3.18. The local barge terminal is $.37 under that. So, corn is under $3 to the seller.
Now, if there is anyone out there who can still afford beef...?

Wish the claf prices today would have reflected this. 630# mixed heifers for $.68, 540# black heifers >7325 and 650# black steers $.775

tom4018":34ktkzgy said:
Wish the claf prices today would have reflected this. 630# mixed heifers for $.68, 540# black heifers >7325 and 650# black steers $.775

I've spent some time this evening reading Ky market reports, and you topped the market. I hate it when I say I lost less money than most players.

It seems to me that the supply of calves is well within the bounds of demand, even with a recession/depression. Affordable corn ought to get some people at least thinking about making a $, and that has been a dream for feeders over the last couple years.

I'm intending to hold into the new year. I may get rolled by some big event, like an even worse economy or a "mad cow" scare. But seasonally, over years, markets get better in the new year. And this year, I have the feed. Rain covers a lot of mistakes. :)

I'm going to do the same thing. Afterall, we don't have but 30 days or so then the market is going to hit $100 for 8 weights right!?!

The problem now is that fats have tanked and bankers are more cautious . With the cost of inputs the grain business is going to be a tough row to hoe . Optimistic !!, John are you out of your mind !!! Oh sorry :cry2: , just kidding .

Larry

larryshoat":1gvuaked said:
The problem now is that fats have tanked and bankers are more cautious . With the cost of inputs the grain business is going to be a tough row to hoe . Optimistic !!, John are you out of your mind !!! Oh sorry :cry2: , just kidding .

Larry

But they hadn't tanked when I started making them fat. In hindsight, I would have been much better off selling all of them at 6 cause I would have made more - $650 as compared to what $560 now? I guess this is what makes the whole thing interesting. I'm sure by January the buyers are going to discount the heavy cattle due to cost of fuel and lack of efficiency in hauling them to market. But since I've made it this far, no sense in selling them now and having to pay taxes in 30 days. I'll just take a lick on the farm this year and have a windfall in 09 so it will look like the new administrations plans are working.

Latest posts