Is it really worth it?

Help Support CattleToday:

Tx-beefmaster-showman

Reaction score
I am running a small beefmaster show cattle operation, or at least if i had heifers, it would be a show heifer operation. So i was looking into having my herdsire collected and having the semen sexed. My question here, is it really worth it, is it cost effective, and is is fairly consistant?
All info would be appreciated :D

If you're running a "small" operation, how about selling the sire and just buying sexed semen off a really popular Beefmaster Bull?

My daughter's boyfriend's dad has a sexed semen operation and I'm under the impression that it is only cost feasible for rodeo bulls and dairy herds.

He is in Weatherford. I'm sure you can talk to him about it, but let me get his number.

Tx-beefmaster-showman":jjthgl8n said:
I am running a small beefmaster show cattle operation, or at least if i had heifers, it would be a show heifer operation. So i was looking into having my herdsire collected and having the semen sexed. My question here, is it really worth it, is it cost effective, and is is fairly consistant?

Only you can make that decision. I'll bet if you're willing to pay for it, someone will collect your bull and sex the semen for you. There is sexed semen available on several Angus bulls, but the difference in price doesn't make it worthwhile to me. Plus, as I understand it, the AI equipment and procedure are different from regular AI, so we'd have to find another AI tech to do the work. I think ABS is claiming about 80% accuracy with their sexed semen.

Tx-beefmaster-showman":3vhq1fio said:
so you dont even have heifers??

you would not have a find a new A.I. tech. the semen comes in a 1/4 cc straw so it will take a different gun and you dont leave it in the water as long. i have been using sexed semen for a dairy that i breed for for over 11/2 years now.cj

From the info I've read, most companies are only recommending using their sexed semen on HEIFERS, in good condition, on natural heats.
It is more costly, and you get lower conception, and they are not 100% one sex - and used only on heifers. :shock:

Jeanne - do you know why it is recommended only for heifers? We do not have sexed beef semen here yet, I believe it has just recently been made available for dairies.

I can see the importance of it in some situations ie dairies but I'm thinking it needs to become a lot more accessible and accurate before becoming a routine/common thing.

Perhaps you might want to explore another avenue..... are you absolutely sure your animals are getting sufficient manganese??
(not magnesium, but manganese). Minerals/vitamins are so important to herd health and they also affect breeding.

I believe I read that low manganese levels affect having all bull calves. There's a multitude of articles if you google it on bovine minerals and its been said before on here the acidity of the cows uterus can also affect sex of the calf.

Just offering other options to explore.

Tx-beefmaster-showman":3si7o69v said:
Would my cows get a sufficient intake of manganese from mineral blocks or loose minerals?
If not, how would i go about getting the needed amount for my stock?
Check with your local vet or county agent. They may be able to tell you weather it is defecient in your area.
I certainly would not start feeding it just to get a heifer. There may be some side effects.
I have done a lot of research on the sex subject and have not seen it myself.

Tx-beefmaster-showman":20y8dvne said:
well i have momma cows, just they seem to like throwing bull calves =(

Someone tell me if I'm wrong, but I believe the male determines that. I also think Accelerated Genetics has their sexed semen for cows.

Manganese

Deficiency Signs:

Deficiency linked to silent heat, reduced conception, abortions, reduced birth weight, increased percentage of male calves, paralysis and skeletal damage.

Toxicity:

Indicated by reduced appetite and growth rate, anemia and abdominal discomfort. Abortion and cystic ovaries may be associated with excess manganese. Manganese is excreted in bile at rate of 12.7 umol/kg liver.

Daily requirements for Manganese range around 1200 milligrams per/cow/day.
Purchased minerals that contain 2500 PPM will have 71.02 milligrams manganese per ounce.

Here's the link: http://www.bovineengineering.com/NL_minerals.html

While I realize that is only one, there are others out there.

CPL":2qi76txn said:
Tx-beefmaster-showman":2qi76txn said:

Someone tell me if I'm wrong, but I believe the male determines that. I also think Accelerated Genetics has their sexed semen for cows.

That is correct. The cow produces gametes that are all X (because she is XX). The bull however is XY so half his sperm cells carry the X and the other half carry the Y. This is why they are able to seperate them and create 'sexed semen'. X sperm will produce XX - heifers and Y sperm will produce XY - bulls.

Keren":29ou7fhc said:
CPL":29ou7fhc said:
Tx-beefmaster-showman":29ou7fhc said:

That is correct. The cow produces gametes that are all X (because she is XX). The bull however is XY so half his sperm cells carry the X and the other half carry the Y. This is why they are able to seperate them and create 'sexed semen'. X sperm will produce XX - heifers and Y sperm will produce XY - bulls.

But there is also the time that the sperm gets where it's going compared to when ovulation takes place.

Yes, the bull produces the X & Y sperm. Whichever one penetrates the egg determines the sex. BUT, the environment of the COW can influence the livability and viability of the X or Y sperm, giving greater odds of one or the other surviving to reach the egg.
ABS is only recommending their sexed semen to be used on heifers because you can get greater conception rates on heifers than cows.
Accelerated Gen has a different sexing method & I have heard they are getting better conceptions rates.
This sexing science is changing rapidly, with improvements all the time.

Latest posts