Is it possible to break 10 month old heifers?

Help Support CattleToday:

showmomof2

Reaction score
We are finally getting our limousin heifers this week. Long story why it took this long! I'm excited, but dreading the halter breaking!

yes it's possible, It will take some work just work hard on it.

I like to get in the corral with them, and just walk along with them for a while she could be wild so she will run around the corral a bit just stay in there and have some grain with you and work your way up to feeding her this can take time it all depends on you and the heifer some heifer are more tame then others once she knows your not gonna eat her so to speak she will calm down and things start working down from there afrer a while when you can feed her out of a bucket next to you or out of your hand I would slep a halter on her while she is eating some grain and let her drag it around for a couple days during those days still be interacting with her and keep working with her just be careful not to let the halter stay on to long it can inbed itself into her head use the grain as a tool / treat to start the leading process you also can tie her for a while in one spot to help the breaking process the heifer will dictate how easy its gonna be to halter break her I have done it so it is possible but it is easier when they are smaller due to age and size good luck and pm me if you need to know more

vs_cattle":15xabpxm said:
yes it's possible, It will take some work just work hard on it.

I like to get in the corral with them, and just walk along with them for a while she could be wild so she will run around the corral a bit just stay in there and have some grain with you and work your way up to feeding her this can take time it all depends on you and the heifer some heifer are more tame then others once she knows your not gonna eat her so to speak she will calm down and things start working down from there afrer a while when you can feed her out of a bucket next to you or out of your hand I would slep a halter on her while she is eating some grain and let her drag it around for a couple days during those days still be interacting with her and keep working with her just be careful not to let the halter stay on to long it can inbed itself into her head use the grain as a tool / treat to start the leading process you also can tie her for a while in one spot to help the breaking process the heifer will dictate how easy its gonna be to halter break her I have done it so it is possible but it is easier when they are smaller due to age and size good luck and pm me if you need to know more
:nod:

I am starting next week to break 3 bulls 18 months old, so its very possible to break 10 month old heifers.

Although I am also letting the halter drag behind the animal, I am not convinced its doing much good. Tie-ing them up and let them fight the halter till they realise its not doing much good to fight is the method I am having the most success with.

The only problem that I have with letting them drag a lead rope is what if they hang up on something. We were feeding a ffa project heifer for a boy who was keeping it at school on the weekends. We live close to the school and he lived quite a distance away, so we fed her on the weekend. The grooming shoot had been left in the pen and she had a knot in the end of her lead. there was also a pole behind the shoot with just enough room between them for her to walk between. Sometime between the morning and evening feedings as she walked between the two, the knot hung up under the shoot and she wrapped her rope around the pole several times. By the time we found her, she had thrown herself on the ground. I don't know if she broke her neck or what happened, but she was dead. I cannot get that image out of my head. Our leads don't have knots in them, but I am really nervous about them getting wrapped around something. I guess I'm paranoid.

sad story, i would be paranoid too. we leave our halters on the calves 24/7. only problem i've had is that they come off once in a while.

Of course it is possible to break 10 month old heifers. I generally dont start until they are 10 months or older. I've found, although they are obviously stronger, its generally not all that difficult, and they have more brains at that age than as younger calves (though heifers generally dont have many brains at all :roll: ).

I never leave the halters on them to drag for that very reason, although I know many people who do. I've never had a problem. Also, I think they need to know exactly when I come with the halter they need to behave differently to when they are just running in the paddock - I dont like them becoming too familiar with the halter.

Good luck and post some pictures when you take some!

showmomof2":3pyjf4je said:
The only problem that I have with letting them drag a lead rope is what if they hang up on something. We were feeding a ffa project heifer for a boy who was keeping it at school on the weekends. We live close to the school and he lived quite a distance away, so we fed her on the weekend. The grooming shoot had been left in the pen and she had a knot in the end of her lead. there was also a pole behind the shoot with just enough room between them for her to walk between. Sometime between the morning and evening feedings as she walked between the two, the knot hung up under the shoot and she wrapped her rope around the pole several times. By the time we found her, she had thrown herself on the ground. I don't know if she broke her neck or what happened, but she was dead. I cannot get that image out of my head. Our leads don't have knots in them, but I am really nervous about them getting wrapped around something. I guess I'm paranoid.

sad sad story thats too bad maybe try the just tying her to something but good luck and I hope that never happends again

We decided to let them drag the halters for a few days, but only when we are near by where we can supervise them. We got them tonight and they are a little skittish, along with the 2 herefords we got last night. The herefords have been started with a donkey, so we will mess with them while the limis are pulling ropes. I'll try to get pictures tomorrow. Next years show string is coming together! I am really excited about our limousins. They are really thick made and nice.

Animals have personalities like people. We just broke an 8 month old. She was slightly skittish the first few trips around the pen but now she leads with one hand. We can just about set her up with out the halter on. It is amazing how they don't mind leading when they know there is a feed pan later or nice cold water waiting for them. She really loves to get washed!

Conversely, we had a real nice heifer 2 years ago that would not walk by herself. She would walk behind another animal but if she had to lead out you were mostly dragging her.

Latest posts