Is it possible for a premature calf to survive

Help Support CattleToday:

Chapin81

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

We had a male calf born on Friday afternoon from a first timer giving birth. The calf wasn't due until next middle of next month maybe even later. It weight in at 25lbs we gave him colostrum and calf milk formula, he didn't take much. wouldn't get up Friday night or all day Saturday and this morning he died. What are the chances of survival on a premature calf? Besides what we did could anything been done differently? Anything I should keep handy in the future to help the chances of survival? We bundled him up even thought it's usually 80's at night we're we are. Nice looking calf.

Attachments

• C6C2C769-FB78-4485-B2B5-BD7E20F3534A.jpeg
    C6C2C769-FB78-4485-B2B5-BD7E20F3534A.jpeg
    134.1 KB · Views: 14
We had 1 born 3 weeks early last year. 32#. It was in September. Still very hot. He lived but it was touch and go for a while. Much earlier and he wouldn't have made it.

We have a bull calf born october 7, the due date was november 26 (AI). So it's near 50 days early. There was a twin female that the cow get out when she deliver. The calf took 2 days before standing alone and sucking but he's not sucking by himself still. We give him milk each 6 hours in small quantity, milk from the cow (8 years old). I was told by a vet that a calf who is premature of 40 days have more chance at survival than a 20 days premature calf, a lung thing I don't know exactly why. I have hope that he will survive, each day he's improving, Weight him today at 40 pounds. Saw some survived in the pass.

Attachments

• 732FB675-6B30-4B47-A85A-8CBD61217E89.jpeg
    732FB675-6B30-4B47-A85A-8CBD61217E89.jpeg
    49.2 KB · Views: 9
I lost one earlier this year. Not sure how early it was but it was two weeks before my first calving date. It seemed normal at birth but after a couple days I could tell something was wrong because it sat around more than normal and wouldn't stay up with Mama and the herd. Died at about five days for reasons Burno mentioned.

Any chance you can find out from the vet why the 40 day premature has a better chance? Sounds interesting enough that I'm curious as to why. Thanks for the input.

Their lungs give off something toxic and I can't remember the name. Maybe if you had one of those vet crates that they use for animals to give oxygen you could save one.
Then it would get down to the cost and time to save the calf.
Sometimes the most humane thing to do is euthanize with a 22LR.

Any chance you can find out from the vet why the 40 day premature has a better chance? Sounds interesting enough that I'm curious as to why. Thanks for the input.
Just an observation she made in her practice in dairy herds. Other thing my calf still have skin over his tooth and he have some hairs but they are very thin. Saw prematures on 2 first calf heifers 2 years ago, we thing it was the lepto that provoked that. We vaccinated for that in the pass but now we vaccinate 2 times a year.

Pipsqueak (Squeaker) was 6 weeks early, orphaned at 10 weeks (mama had hardware). I just weaned her 8th calf, a heifer that I'm absolutely keeping as a replacement.

Tator Tot (Tator) was also 6 weeks early and was so small we were afraid to tube her. Took her to the vet and he rigged a small, soft tube to a pump and pumped colostrum replacer from a bucket. She couldn't even stand, much less walk, for a week. I spent hours on physical therapy, getting her in a standing position and supporting her between my legs. No meds, just Vitamin B Complex. She was finally able to nurse on her own when she was about 10 days old. Orphaned at 3 months - dam also had hardware. Just weaned her 5th calf, another heifer I'm keeping as a replacement.

Dixie was 5 weeks early this year. Just weaned her and she's doing great!096.JPG150.JPGIMG_20200218_121442950.jpg

Pipsqueak (Squeaker) was 6 weeks early, orphaned at 10 weeks (mama had hardware). I just weaned her 8th calf, a heifer that I'm absolutely keeping as a replacement.

Tator Tot (Tator) was also 6 weeks early and was so small we were afraid to tube her. Took her to the vet and he rigged a small, soft tube to a pump and pumped colostrum replacer from a bucket. She couldn't even stand, much less walk, for a week. I spent hours on physical therapy, getting her in a standing position and supporting her between my legs. No meds, just Vitamin B Complex. She was finally able to nurse on her own when she was about 10 days old. Orphaned at 3 months - dam also had hardware. Just weaned her 5th calf, another heifer I'm keeping as a replacement.

Dixie was 5 weeks early this year. Just weaned her and she's doing great!View attachment 282View attachment 280View attachment 281
Great Job!!

Sorry to hear about the calf not making it. I had a calf born almost 2 months early, had to give him a shot of DeX I believe to develop his lungs and kept him in the basement with a humidifier to mimic being in mom, had to give him Bo-Se, Exceed, Badimine and Baytril, Multi Min 90 B vitamin shot. Because he had white muscle disease and he got sick at 10 days old. He would fall down and have a seizure when drinking his bottle, vet said it was from the white muscle disease. After 6 weeks he became like a normal calf and when he was almost 3 months old a guy wanted me to sell him to him so I did.

Sorry to hear about the calf not making it. I had a calf born almost 2 months early, had to give him a shot of DeX I believe to develop his lungs and kept him in the basement with a humidifier to mimic being in mom, had to give him Bo-Se, Exceed, Badimine and Baytril, Multi Min 90 B vitamin shot. Because he had white muscle disease and he got sick at 10 days old. He would fall down and have a seizure when drinking his bottle, vet said it was from the white muscle disease. After 6 weeks he became like a normal calf and when he was almost 3 months old a guy wanted me to sell him to him so I did.
Glad to hear it worked out for you. We are in a remote area and to get the vet to come over is difficult. We keep powdered colostrum and some anti inflammatory meds along with vitamins, along with feed for the sires and mineral salts. That's pretty much it. I'm hoping this doesn't happen often. Thanks for sharing.

I figured it's always worth a shot. My dads old staff wouldn't even make an attempt.
That doesn't make sense. You're the reason its here you have to give it a fighting chance. Thing isn't so much nature and survival of the fittest. You bred the animal in a square, now when it struggles you have to offer help. In my opinion anyways...

That doesn't make sense. You're the reason its here you have to give it a fighting chance. Thing isn't so much nature and survival of the fittest. You bred the animal in a square, now when it struggles you have to offer help. In my opinion anyways...
I agree with you. I live in the states and unfortunately bad choices were made before, My dad asked me to take over December2019/January 2020 and I fired everyone in March, but the new staff does make an attempt an are open minded . I got my hands full now running things down there and this is all new to me, but I am enjoying this 1000% I live in NYC and when I head down there I am smiling ear to ear.

I went to my vet to get the meds, I didn't want to pay for them to drive out to my place. The cheapest I can get a vet to come out is $25 not counting meds another vet is $200 not counting meds, and the vet I generally use, I've never had her out, but I've taken a animal to her.

I went to my vet to get the meds, I didn't want to pay for them to drive out to my place. The cheapest I can get a vet to come out is $25 not counting meds another vet is $200 not counting meds, and the vet I generally use, I've never had her out, but I've taken a animal to her.
$25 for a vet to come out. That sounds like a bargain. Just to get my dog checked at the vets not including meds it's $135

$25 for a vet to come out. That sounds like a bargain. Just to get my dog checked at the vets not including meds it's $135
Not sure how large animals vets stay afloat-for cutting 2 bull calves it cost me $30, one of them tried to kill the vet after they let him out. Dog shots are over $100-I guess we support their practice with the dogs.

Latest posts