Is it just more snake oil??

Help Support CattleToday:

MO_cows

Reaction score
Well, the upside down tomatoes were a total bust for us. But that doesn't mean the next fad won't work out. :banana: www.squarefootgardening.com We are gonna try a couple of these "boxes"; more if it works out.

I grow flowers every year, either in containers or permanent beds with mulch for easy care, and they do just fine. We have a big asparagus patch and have kept it going strong for over 20 years. So we're not totally inept. But whenever we put in a traditional row garden, by mid-summer it is a wreck. So we quit putting one in.

I have high hopes for this technique. Anybody heard of it before? Or seen one?

MO_cows":ed2wepe9 said:
I have high hopes for this technique. Anybody heard of it before? Or seen one?

In the early 80's he came out with a book called Square Foot Gardening which is a fantastic book. Its out of print but I know you can find it on e-bay. I bought this book and did a garden using the techniques described in the book. It was amazing what I grew in such little space. The ideas of space requirements and timing and growth periods is well thought out and can be used in any garden. Highly recommend the book. Don't think it caught on to well since its out of print so it seems he is selling something else. I do recommend the book before investing much in the planters cause you really don't need them to garden this way. The method itself is not snake oil I assure you.

I did buy the book, it's been revamped, "All New Square Foot Gardening". That's where I got the web site and there are sure some great photo's of these gardens on the site. If hubby ever gets off of 12 hour/7 day shifts, I want to build a couple of boxes and try for some fall crops this year. Thanks for the favorable report! Maybe we can keep up with a garden if we do it this way.

You will like the ideas he has - they work. In the old book he suggested starting with a 12 x 12 spot in the garden and using newspaper or some other type biodegradable mulch to make the squares. Kept your weeding to a minimal. What I really thought was smart was the arrangement of the plants and how each would grow into the other. I adjusted it somewhat to fit my situation but I basically followed what he said and produced a bumper crop. Only thing I'm leary about with the erected squares is water. I am not good at remembering to water the garden and raised beds or containers have always been problematic to me.

Latest posts