Is it just me.....

Help Support CattleToday:

Earl Thigpen

Reaction score
...or has anyone else noticed what's happened to bread? I mean the kind you eat, buy in the store, make sandwiches with, etc. I started noticing something going on with the stuff a few years ago when my hamburger expolded on me, no literally. Had mayo, mustard etc. all down the front of my shirt. The dam bun came apart. I thought it might be dementia or alzheimers or some other old age affliction but then I started noticing other folks were having the same problem. What's going on?

The other day I was eating a sandwich and, of course, it was coming apart but not only that, the bread was sticking to my teeth like drywall mud on sheetrock. (no, I don't have false teeth) Finally had to lay the sandwich down in the plate and eat it with a knife and fork. And the stuff just doesn't taste like it used too.

I guess the bread makers of the US finally got rid of the holes in it at the expense of taste, texture, etc. Sure wish they would go back to making bread and leave the chemistry in the lab.

I have noticed that with some breads. Of course, around here there is a Mrs. Baird's Bakery and they make all the bread in the area, including all the store brands and Oro Wheat. They just don't guarantee the freshness of any other bread but their's since they don't deliver it.

I was buying Iron Kids bread for my son's lunches because it has extra calcium and I thought that was a good idea. He hates whole grain breads. Over time, I started to notice that it was like making a sandwich on two pieces of thinly sliced styrofoam. I stopped buying that. He doesn't like Mrs. Baird's because he says it tastes sweet. I have more luck with store brands or the expensive foo foo breads. I also like to make my own. That is what William Henry prefers.

Maybe it is because of all the vitamins and extra stuff they are trying to jam in there?

Lammie":3bj7rzp6 said:
I have noticed that with some breads. Of course, around here there is a Mrs. Baird's Bakery and they make all the bread in the area, including all the store brands and Oro Wheat. They just don't guarantee the freshness of any other bread but their's since they don't deliver it.

I was buying Iron Kids bread for my son's lunches because it has extra calcium and I thought that was a good idea. He hates whole grain breads. Over time, I started to notice that it was like making a sandwich on two pieces of thinly sliced styrofoam. I stopped buying that. He doesn't like Mrs. Baird's because he says it tastes sweet. I have more luck with store brands or the expensive foo foo breads. I also like to make my own. That is what William Henry prefers.

Maybe it is because of all the vitamins and extra stuff they are trying to jam in there?

I worked as a "vitamin stuffer" at the local bakery. YOU try holding the mouths of those little wheat kernels open while you drench the vitamins in there. Knowing that the next stop was the grinder, I had to quit. Now I work for PEToooWee. (People for the Ethical Treatment of Wheat). Video to follow.

I can't complain cause anything is better than the bread I was raised on. Heck, no one would even trade with me in the lunch room.

I turn down all the bread you can buy just to eat some of my mothers homade biscuits and gravy again.

Cal

Take A good look at the bread bag to see where the bread was made.
It most likly came from CHINA

Hadn't noticed that about the bread around here but we eat alot of cornbread and Biscuits around here.I am kinda like Calman like them biscuits and gravy.

Since I can't be running to the store everytime we run out of bread, I broke out my favorite bread recipe and make my own.
Funny thing with my kids Lammie is as soon as it is out of the oven there they are with the bread knife and the butter. I keep it in the frig and after it goes stale I make bread pudding. Yummy.

Crazy husband started combining our winter wheat tonight and gave me a can of it and asked me to find out how long it would take to make a loaf of bread from the wheat.
I will have to find out on Thursday, too busy tomorrow.

I just wish that I had saved the news article that I saw a few years ago.........

Seems that China is making hamburger buns out of cardboard. Yes, cardboard! They have figured out a way to recycle cardboard into hamburger and hotdog buns.

Perhaps some of the American breadmakers have learned from them.

Nothing like FRESH, HOMEMADE bread! My wife and kids love it when I make that. :clap:

Calman":3vbdk317 said:
I turn down all the bread you can buy just to eat some of my mothers homade biscuits and gravy again.

Cal
When my grandmother was alive, she would make bread in an iron skillet kinda like one big biscuit. We would get a piece of it and break it up on the plate and smother it with her home made sausage gravy. I would love to have that meal just one more time.

Fred Belknap":13thmvg4 said:
Remember when bread would mold after 3 or 4 days in the hot months. I can keep a loaf of bread for better than a week and no mold. My dog and cats won't eat bread. Maybe they are smarter than me. :oops:
Fred

Well, here's one for you... we towed the trailer to Florida to spend Thanksgiving week camping at Disney's Ft. Wilderness. This spring when I cleaned the trailer/de-winterized/etc. I ran across a loaf of bread I must have overlooked in the cabinet. WAS NOT MOLDED!!!! Wasn't fresh either (kind of firm) but definately not green & fuzzy. Gross!

Latest posts