Is it important to have shelter for young calves outside, if so why?

Help Support CattleToday:

devonian

Reaction score
We keep our small beef suckler herd outside from april to november aprox. And bring the cows in over winter and they usually calve inside. Lately however we have been getting calves born early in September and October and in the UK this time of year they can get subjected to all kinds of nasty windy cold and wet weather, followed by nice sunny days like today. I'm thinking of building a shelter a bit like a pig arc for these young calves for the future, but is it worthwhile me doing this?? Does bad weather really cause ill health in young calves??

Weather = stress. Stress = lower resistance.

A healthy calf Plus good vaccination program, they can usually take some weather.

We get that kind of weather in Kentucky starting in November. It reaches a point that I make shelter available.

It is interesting. About half the calves will not use the shelter. They do just as well as the calves that I see in the shelter. That says at least some don't need it. Maybe none of them do.

Shelter can be many things. Trees or buildings. We tend to use three sided shelters facing to the south in fields with no trees and thick bush in other areas on the farm. Of course this depends upon the location the animals are at when we have them out on grass.

In the end, shelter from wind, rain and snow is important. Do you want to lay down on wet and muddy ground after a couple days of rain? As we are all mammals, trust me - if it would affect you, it will affect them.

Especially when you get in to the heavy minus temperatures we have in Canada. When it comes to "down south" that might be a different story. In the end if the conditions make you uncomfortable it will do the same to cows and calves.

Cheers

We are in Canada. I don't keep any cattle in any field without shelter ever. I believe it's actually considered unfit living conditions, I know our neighbour has been approached by animal protection on this. But, we are in a VERY sensitive area for this type of stuff. Rules here are they must have shelter with 3 sides. We get to about -5 in the winter. I even blanket some calves. Id never leave my herd out without shelter. Any month of the year.

Bright Raven said:

A healthy calf Plus good vaccination program, they can usually take some weather.

We get that kind of weather in Kentucky starting in November. It reaches a point that I make shelter available.

It is interesting. About half the calves will not use the shelter. They do just as well as the calves that I see in the shelter. That says at least some don't need it. Maybe none of them do.

your just ruining your cattle by giving them shelter. If you loose a few calves because of bad weather, then they were probably the ones that needed to be culled anyway. Only the strong deserve space in the pasture.

I pretty much never have young calves over winter, but my cows don't get shelter... Weaned calves have minimal shelter, but they do get really good food.. I'm in a dry area too, so that makes a big difference.. rain is a lot harder on them than cold

Tegridy Farms said:
Bright Raven said:

your just ruining your cattle by giving them shelter. If you loose a few calves because of bad weather, then they were probably the ones that needed to be culled anyway. Only the strong deserve space in the pasture.

You worry a lot. Those who conjure up things to worry about have a weak mind. Those that have weak minds should probably be culled anyway using your logic.

Mine have shelter available in the form of dense woods, barns, lean-to's and deep draws. We also spread straw & junk bales of hay for bedding. Whether they choose to utilize them is a crap shoot but almost always during calving the mamas will tuck their calves in "straw igloos" to keep them warm. Pretty smart on their behalf, considering the enclosed areas are the most likely to get soiled/contaminated, regardless of how many times you scrape them.

A windbreak for the bitterest environment, other than that no, imo shelters turn into a sloppy contaminated mess.

snoopdog said:
A windbreak for the bitterest environment, other than that no, imo shelters turn into a sloppy contaminated mess.

That is a fact. It takes a lot of effort. It is a double edged sword.

I think it depends on you location and situation. Here in Ga, we don't shelter our cows / calves unless they are sick. Have somewhat mild winters and cattle survive OK. In Canada, I can see your point. I think you should do what gives you peace of mind. Wouldn't want to loose a calf or cow to poor planning.

snoopdog said:

Not if I build a 'calf ark' like this pig ark above I made earlier this year, it should keep the wind and rain out fine, be small enough so only the young calves can go in it and importantly its movable. This one I built is light enough I can pull it by hand.

Thanks for the replies everyone I shall be building not one but three of these now one for each of our pastures over the winter so that should keep me busy. cheers

devonian said:
snoopdog said:

Not if I build a 'calf ark' like this pig ark above I made earlier this year, it should keep the wind and rain out fine, be small enough so only the young calves can go in it and importantly its movable. This one I built is light enough I can pull it by hand.

Thanks for the replies everyone I shall be building not one but three of these now one for each of our pastures over the winter so that should keep me busy. cheers

That looks like a good idea. Just a thought, you might leave one end open. They might not be too comfortable going in a small door.

That looks like a good idea. Just a thought, you might leave one end open. They might not be too comfortable going in a small door.
[/quote]

That did cross my mind the trouble is the end is needed for the integrity of the structure, I shall just have to make the opening much larger than the pig ark and hope its ok.

Latest posts