Is it hay cutting time already?

Help Support CattleToday:

alabama

Reaction score
I need to start cutting hay and it seems a little early. I have about 50 acres of ryegrass that is starting to head out. Well as soon as this rain (if you can call it rain, a 1/10 in 3 days) moves out I will be laying it down. And it ain't even May.

Well Alabama, here in Alabama we have had warm weather for over a month now. It's been dry but real warm.

I fertlized my fescue the 1st of March instead of toward the end of March as I usually do. The warm wearther during March, the great timing of fertlizer (spread one afternoon & 1" of rain 36 hours later) and now the spring rains, I expect I will be cutting in early to mid May since it appears that we are on a schedule about 3 weeks earlier than last year. The cold snap later this week (60s in day and 30s at night) may slow the grass up some.

Yesterday we put out over 5 tons of fertlizer on the neighbors 25 acres and it started raining about 30 minutes before we got it all out. Ended up getting over 1/2" yesterday afternoon and another 1/2" last night. We could not have asked for better timing.

It is going to be a little cool for the next few days but i need to get this ryegrass off my hay field before it uses up all the potash I got on it. I need to but our N also.
I hav enot even checked out the hay equipment yet. I better start hooking it up and testing it so I can get parts ordered tomorrow.

Was taalking about the same thing to some neighbors the other day. If people wait until late may early june as they normally do there is going to be some P poor hay put up this year. One neighbor cut his alfalfa today. Cold snap is coming but I think we'll still be cutting 2-3 weeks ahead of normal years. Part of the problem is the fields are usually still too muddy at that time to get into them. But with the dirth of precip we've had that may not be a problem this year.

dun

We're running ahead here too in the hillbilly. Checked a field yesterday, used barley as cover for alfalfa, og, tim, etc. We're in a cold snap now too 26 degrees with 20mph winds. If it stays warm through the rest of April I'll be cutting that the first of may.

yep, with the warmer spring we have been having, its looking like we will be cutting a couple weeks early as well.
Fescue is already about a foot high...

Herefordcross":2cfymqfg said:
We're running ahead here too in the hillbilly. Checked a field yesterday, used barley as cover for alfalfa, og, tim, etc. We're in a cold snap now too 26 degrees with 20mph winds. If it stays warm through the rest of April I'll be cutting that the first of may.

They keep lowering our expected low temps for the week-end. Now they're talking in the mid teens. Maybe it'll be alright for the grasses but it's gonna knock the ..... out of the fruit crops.

dun

yes.. it sure will... I hate that, cuz I got 4 trees loaded with apple blossums, and one pear tree already with a bunch of very small pears on it.

We are putting small plastic tarps over the trees this AM tied down at the four corners with a heat lamp under each(apple and pear). If the wind is not to bad it will work.

preston39":87gaylv5 said:
We are putting small plastic tarps over the trees this AM tied down at the four corners with a heat lamp under each(apple and pear). If the wind is not to bad it will work.

We have mostly balck walnut trees. Not enough plastic tarps to cover 50-60 foot tall trees with a 30 foot spread. Maybe this ill be Ma Natures trick this year and we won;t have another drought! One can alwasy hope

dun

You've GOT to wait until you have the weather to cure hay.

Maybe in a few weeks after this cool spell.

I got 2 cuttings year before last on some ryegrass. 1st one was mid April and then again the end of May.

yes its time to start cutting hay.if youve got belly or knee deep grass.its time to hookup an get going.baler man called here yesterday wondering when we wanted him to start cutting.said he was getting ready to lay 3 medows down all roll emm up.so that means ive gotta go look at the hey medow.an see if itll be ready by the end of this month.gonna wait till this cool snapp passes 1st.then look at the hay medow.

preston39":21rpu70c said:
dun,

Hadn't thought of the black walnut and pecan trees. Think it will effect them? They seem hardy...all have bloomed.

They're now talking 16 degrees for a couple of nights. I'm sure that will zap thr snot out of the flowers. Mid 20s and above maybe not if it doesn;t last too long.
Time will tell.

Were getting that cold spell here too...low in the 20's . We typically have first cutting first week of May.. course if it is wet, we can't cut hay and get stuck..

Grass is looking good, supposedly we are out of the drought after a few or more years... I am hoping for at least a normal year, for us and all of you. We should start praying early instead of later, there was alot of praying last year to no avail. Donna

alabama":2bmyz9g2 said:
I need to start cutting hay and it seems a little early. I have about 50 acres of ryegrass that is starting to head out. Well as soon as this rain (if you can call it rain, a 1/10 in 3 days) moves out I will be laying it down. And it ain't even May.

Hard to cut hay with six inches of snow 8) We are praying the wheat survives I am guessing no plum jam this year :(

dun
Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:53 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

preston39 wrote:
dun,

Hadn't thought of the black walnut and pecan trees. Think it will effect them? They seem hardy...all have bloomed.

They're now talking 16 degrees for a couple of nights. I'm sure that will zap thr snot out of the flowers. Mid 20s and above maybe not if it doesn;t last too long.
Time will tell.

Saw a couple of peach orchards spraying a white powdery substance on the fruit trees. What is it? Maybe a no-freeze product? Kind of like no-drop u use on apples to keep them from falling off of the trees?

Glad I read this thread. Made me remember to go but a platic bag over my 6ft Tangerine tree. It's covered with baby fruit!

It's about 35% and cold rain falling.

Latest posts