Is it fesiable????????

Help Support CattleToday:

spinandslide

Reaction score
We went and looked at some REALLY REALLY nice Sim/Angus calves afew weeks ago. I am told they will be ready to go in early July..

The show my son was aiming for in in mid-september, this is our local fair, not 4-h...the 4-h livestock show wont be til Feb(a year from now). Is it feisable to expect to bring home a heifer in July and have it ready, training and condition wise, in mid-september? I know it would entail quite abit of work and that each animal is different..but just a general consensus.

I know it would be ready by Feb, its the sept show Im concerned about. Its been brought up that he could show the bottle calf in sept if the other heifer wasnt ready, but right now, she is short, I imagine due to the illness she had this summer. she is carrying good weight, just short and my husband feels that it wouldnt be fair to let him enter her, espc in an "open" show for kids up to 18 years old(he'd be with kids I think 13 and under?hes 8, would be almost 9 in Sept in showmanship though) Granted, shes broker then broke to lead and stand, just SHORT. I know he'll do well in showmanship with her, but its the other class that Im concerned if his new heifer is not "ready"

Thoughts????

Depending on the heifer it can be done (assuming you compete in age classes?), but it would be a safer bet to get the bottle heifer ready by September. Compensatory growth will make up for her slow start, just make sure she hasn't got any parasite load and that you start her very early on feed.

KNERSIE":217o157p said:
Depending on the heifer it can be done (assuming you compete in age classes?), but it would be a safer bet to get the bottle heifer ready by September. Compensatory growth will make up for her slow start, just make sure she hasn't got any parasite load and that you start her very early on feed.

Thanks for the info Knersie. The classes, from what I understand, are based on age of the heifer and then breed..two head make a breed..which Im not sure applies to her..she looks angus, but I cant be sure..do alot of these open shows require proof of breed? showmanship is by age of the exhibitor.

The heifer that I raised on the bottle is coming on a year..she was a LATE spring calf..mid May birthdate. shes making up well in the weight department..dont want her rolly polly fat, but shes not poor looking. just short compared to others Ive seen.

I just dont want to rush the new heifer and end up with problems..I imagine the mid July pick up will be the actual weaning time as well and I know some calves take weaning pretty hard...

The sept show was merely going to be an "intro to cattle showing" for my son, but I want to make sure its positive.

spinandslide":3sm1m2j3 said:
We went and looked at some REALLY REALLY nice Sim/Angus calves afew weeks ago. I am told they will be ready to go in early July..

The show my son was aiming for in in mid-september, this is our local fair, not 4-h...the 4-h livestock show wont be til Feb(a year from now). Is it feisable to expect to bring home a heifer in July and have it ready, training and condition wise, in mid-september? I know it would entail quite abit of work and that each animal is different..but just a general consensus.

I know it would be ready by Feb, its the sept show Im concerned about. Its been brought up that he could show the bottle calf in sept if the other heifer wasnt ready, but right now, she is short, I imagine due to the illness she had this summer. she is carrying good weight, just short and my husband feels that it wouldnt be fair to let him enter her, espc in an "open" show for kids up to 18 years old(he'd be with kids I think 13 and under?hes 8, would be almost 9 in Sept in showmanship though) Granted, shes broker then broke to lead and stand, just SHORT. I know he'll do well in showmanship with her, but its the other class that Im concerned if his new heifer is not "ready"

Thoughts????

I would say if you worked with her you would be ok.

I do have another question for you though. What are you going to do with this heifer after you show her?
You indicate that she may have been sick and not as tall as she should be. This would be a warning sign to me to not buy that particular heifer. Especially if you are going to show her. It probably wouldn't matter if you were just going to add her to your herd but it doesn't sound like she is show quality.

Just some thoughts I had after reading your post.

I have had heifers before that iv'e gotten ready for our county show in about a week TEMPERMENT WISE. As for conditioning it takes about 3 to 4 months on a steer ration to get them to where they could compete with the other heifers. You never win with a green calf but it is the BEST EXPERIENCE for her..

Depends how big the heifers are and how calm they are. It would be great if the calves were handled or even had a halter on before you got them home. Would it be possible for your son to visit the calves and maybe even work with them? If they are even tempered and OK around people you shouldn't have trouble training them if you work hard! Good luck!

by a general rule it takes about 90 days to put finish on a calf. So, I think you would have enough time also, I might would haul the bottle calf as well maybe just for showmanship if that is allowed.

Congrats on finding a Simm x Angus heifer!!!
You should have at least 60 days from July to a September show. Plenty of time, if calf is worked with daily. And from previous posts, I think you & son are persistant.
I can have a calf in pretty good shape in 2 weeks for a show. 60 days is a little short of time for her condition, but if she is in good condition at the time of weaning, she should be OK. Just don't PUSH it. Remember, taking her slow with grain is better than pushing her too fast. Start out with 1% of her body weight (or less - see what she will clean up) of a good 14-15% protein ration (per day). All the good grass hay she will eat. After 7 days, increase her grain. Be sure to check out seller's health program. Hopefully, she will be fully vaccinated prior to your purchase - if not, get it done ASAP - and deworm.
As suggested, if allowed, might be good to show yearling in showmanship class. And, wouldn't hurt to show her in breed class (if one available). Just be sure your son knows that placing high is not very likely and that he knows it's just for the fun & experience. Besides, showmanship is the MOST important class juniors show in, as far as I'm concerned.

Jovid":2g9tiye1 said:
spinandslide":2g9tiye1 said:

Thoughts????

I do have another question for you though. What are you going to do with this heifer after you show her?
You indicate that she may have been sick and not as tall as she should be. This would be a warning sign to me to not buy that particular heifer. Especially if you are going to show her. It probably wouldn't matter if you were just going to add her to your herd but it doesn't sound like she is show quality.

Hi Jovid

Let me re-explain. I already own the bottle calf that got ill(about 2 weeks after I bought her at a week old) and is abit shorter then I'd expect for her age. The Sim/Angus calves are pastured with their mommas. I brought up the bottle calf, as shes an option if the sim/angus is not ready. I bought the bottle calf to add to my herd, she was never ment as a show animal, but due to all the handling she's gotten, shes pretty broke to lead, broker then some show heifers. :) The Sim/Angus heifer will get added to the herd as well when Casey is done showing her.

Thanks for the advice!
Sarah

Snider_Angus":14zome2e said:
I have had heifers before that iv'e gotten ready for our county show in about a week TEMPERMENT WISE. As for conditioning it takes about 3 to 4 months on a steer ration to get them to where they could compete with the other heifers. You never win with a green calf but it is the BEST EXPERIENCE for her..

Agree with the experience part..espc since the livestock show in Feb is the "big un" and being out at the fair wont do her anything but good.

These sim/angus calves seem really even tempered, so that is a plus.

Sarah

Lovemoo-Yes, that would be ideal to be able to handle them. they all seem pretty used to people on foot and cubes, seem even tempered, but I dont know if it's possible. they are pasture cattle..

Watson-Ill have to check on the rules regarding showmanship, but that is an idea

Jeanne-was hopin ya saw this, as you reccomended this cross! they were absolutely stunning. the sim cows were huge, not just wide, but tall and gentle as getout. the angus bull he had on them was really nice as well. I am pleased with this cross. :)

We go easy with the grain, I dont want bloat for sure! I will use your percentages to go by. Id rather have live then dead or sick. :) Seller said he vaccinates and worms at weaning, so she should be taken care of in that aspect. I will just have to do the bangs tag before the show. I think we will haul the yearling, provided like I told Watson, they allow it, but heck, like you mentioned, good experience for everyone all around.

We had a long talk about winning the other night. He is very competitive, he also plays soccer, so he understands loosing comes with winning and the MAIN goal is for him to do the activity well and put forth his best effort and have fun. We arent serious cattle show people, but this is something he's interested, livestock wise and I plan to support it, since hes pretty uninterested in our horses.

spinandslide":5rye0lf0 said:
Jovid":5rye0lf0 said:
spinandslide":5rye0lf0 said:

Thoughts????

Hi Jovid

Let me re-explain. I already own the bottle calf that got ill(about 2 weeks after I bought her at a week old) and is abit shorter then I'd expect for her age. The Sim/Angus calves are pastured with their mommas. I brought up the bottle calf, as shes an option if the sim/angus is not ready. I bought the bottle calf to add to my herd, she was never ment as a show animal, but due to all the handling she's gotten, shes pretty broke to lead, broker then some show heifers. :) The Sim/Angus heifer will get added to the herd as well when Casey is done showing her.

Thanks for the advice!
Sarah

Sorry my misread.....I thought the new heifer was smaller due to being ill.

Good luck!

Jeanne - Simme Valley":frlqn2lh said:
Sports are great for the kids, but working with any kind of animal/livestock is such a learning experience. Don't be afraid to PM me if you have other questions.
Thanks Jeannne, will definantly give you a shout if Ive got a question! :D

Jovid, no biggie, the way I wrote it was abit confusing. :)

Latest posts