Is her butt too fat ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
WE have been inter seeding legumes for several years, and have had steady rains with cool weather this summer. So, the pastures are very good and the cows are fat. Is it possible to get spring calving cows too fat during the summer? How about short bred heifers?

If they get too fat while they're open they may not cycle, but I doubt if they could get that fat with a calf nursing.

I know in dairy heifers if are allowed to or fed to get too fat they won't produce as much milk. I would assume the same holds true in beef cattle. I know milk is not as big an issue in beef but to what degree? Less milk can mean weaning smaller calves.

Dave":1mbxp1aw said:
I know in dairy heifers if are allowed to or fed to get too fat they won't produce as much milk. I would assume the same holds true in beef cattle. I know milk is not as big an issue in beef but to what degree? Less milk can mean weaning smaller calves.

I've read that too. As I understand it, the milk production is reduced because they produce fat cells in the bag, and those fat cells don't go away.

Fatty liver is more of a dairy cow problem.
Going from over conditioned >4 body score to sudden negative calorie intake causes fat mobilization and increased
liver triglycerides, leading to metabolic disorders.

The main point is don't place over conditioned pregnant beef cows on a sudden restricted diet, but a gradual decline in
energy (calories) to help prevent calving difficulties.

Latest posts