Is he a steer or not?

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid":344cvdy8 said:
I don't really think a stag would be able to settle a cow so long as he wasn't "just" castrated. I'd think with one or both testicles in the body cavity, the animal's own body heat would kill off any sperm. There's a good reason why they're normally placed outside. :lol:

No he was pinched, or allegedly so, a couple months back. I guess I am very much in the minority on this board that way, in pinching. They didn't both shrivel up as well as they normally do, so they are hangin out there baby!! :lol: But you raise a good question milkmaid, is it likely a "belly nut" will produce viable semen?? I doubt it but, don't know it.

Here is ole Utah afraid to post a question and so far I bet a bunch of us "sperienced folk" have learned a few things from it. Thanks for posting Utah. :D

milkmaid":2r0uibyx said:
I don't really think a stag would be able to settle a cow so long as he wasn't "just" castrated. I'd think with one or both testicles in the body cavity, the animal's own body heat would kill off any sperm. There's a good reason why they're normally placed outside. :lol:

They can and will. A friend of mine had a bull in the feedlot tht had both nuts retained in his body. He ran in the usual bunch f heifers to feedout a month or so before the bull-it went to the packers. Last I heard he had 4 or 5 young heifers calved from that brief interlude with the nutless wonder.

dun

Testicles remaining in body cavity would reduce fertility but not neccessarily cause infertility.
It has been said that Napolean took hot baths as a form of birth control.

What do they call people that use the rhythm method of birth control? Parents. :lol2:
(OK that's my joke for the year.)

milkmaid":13qnciob said:
I don't really think a stag would be able to settle a cow so long as he wasn't "just" castrated.

One wouldn't think so, but it doesn't happen that way. A stag can and will settle heifers and cows. I know to many people around here who thought the same thing and ended up with pregnant animals.

the bad part of banding is it is sometimes hard to know if you have two, with a knife you can count two in hand. A one-nutted steer ( or gelding, or man can reproduce) When castrating you can usually get the high nut out by relaxing a leg, pushing the belly down and kinda milking the nut out, just move stuff around till ya get it

Latest posts