Is he a steer or not?

Help Support CattleToday:

Utah

Reaction score
I have another question for those kind enough not to ridicule me for not knowing the answer here:

I have a new black baldy steer now almost 900 pounds. He has really good size and shape for his age and his rump and loins are rather large and he has grwon like crazy. When I brought in three other steers yesterday, he got all excited and was mounting the other herford steer like he was ready to breed. This lasted for some time. He had all the tellings of a bull to me.

When I look at him compared to his brother, his scrotum seems to have something there - not descended like a large bull but not dried up and empty like his younger brother - sort of in between. And watching him follow the new ones with his unit all excited, I just wondered if he was missed or if one testicle was missed. Can steers act this way for an extended period of time?

If he was missed, his scrotum is small. But will he finish just the same for the freezer? He is fairly calm right now but I just don't want problems later this year since my fences are not the very best.

Please help me with your experience and what I should watch for or what my options are.

Thank you!!

Could just be dominance.

What kind of condition is he in? Keep in mind that as they become "finished" a steer will carry a lot of fat in the area where their nuts were. To the point they do look a little like a bull. 900lbs is a bit early to be looking that way, but maybe he's just going to finish smaller than most.

Utah, I had a one nut limi steer / half bull last year. Took him to slaughter anyway and the meat was some of the best that I have had out of the three steers killed over the last three years. He exhibited the same characteristics that you are seeing from yours. Good luck and I hope yours works out as well as mine did.

All of my bulls are banded at birth. Throughout their life they go through the motions including mounting etc. They have no testicles nor do they protrude when they mount, but they mount one another nevertheless.

backhoeboogie":km3a1vs8 said:
All of my bulls are banded at birth. Throughout their life they go through the motions including mounting etc. They have no testicles nor do they protrude when they mount, but they mount one another nevertheless.
Will sometimes do this. Not that unusual.
Could also be that one testicle did not descend. If that is the case then he is a bull.
If it really makes a difference, pen him up and see what you can feel.

Milkmaid is right about fat in scrotal are can make them look like a bull. I got in quite a scramble with one a while back that I thought had not been castrated, but he had. Just fat.

Not sure if this is an old wives tale or not.... but I thought on a steer, the penis won't come out (won't see it hanging down a bit), but a stag you will... not "always" but the occassional...like when they get excited.... if I'm crazy let me know!! Please!!

mitchwi":3gn6sqsf said:
Not sure if this is an old wives tale or not.... but I thought on a steer, the penis won't come out (won't see it hanging down a bit), but a stag you will... not "always" but the occassional...like when they get excited.... if I'm crazy let me know!! Please!!

I think you are right. They still mount continually, but nothing protrudes.

mitchwi":36ry1yzx said:

Yes (not crazy) - that's the comment or question I was waiting for as I read thru the thread. I've had a couple mistakes where there was no sack (due to banding) but somehow there was a testicle (must be I can't count to 2). But in both cases, he could run his penis out & thus was graded a stag - not good for the pocketbook. The thing that gets you is that they might not do it often (as in one case it was a complete surprise to me, the other I had seen him show it a little bit) but without fail they get excited when going into the grading ring & it just slips out some.

We have a steer that goes to meet his maker next month. I have a show heifer in heat right now and he was riding her all over the feed lot his morning. I think this is common behavior for a steer but you may want to try to feel and see if he still has a testicle if you think yours might still be a bull.

Utah":20zvzc69 said:
If he was missed, his scrotum is small. But will he finish just the same for the freezer? He is fairly calm right now but I just don't want problems later this year since my fences are not the very best.

He'll be just fine in the freezer, you'll never know any difference. Problem is at his size even if you determine that he has one left - do you really want to cut one that big ? I personally wouldn't want to cut him at that size.

Hey, good posts here, thanks for all the information!

When he was mounting the other steer, yes his penis was erected and way out like a bull - this is why I had the question. I dont have the chute to get him in and feel but I may just watch him and keep him away from my small heifers for a while. He actually comes from some champion bull that my friend bred to his cows.

Maybe I can get a picture of his rear end so you all can see and tell me what you think. I'll try and get back later.

mitchwi":301slf29 said:
They do protrude sometimes. Depends. I've seen steers mount each other and protrude. These particular steers did have testosterone implants but I'm not sure if that would effect whether it protruded or not.

jaydill":1r2ybv4a said:
mitchwi":1r2ybv4a said:
These particular steers did have testosterone implants but I'm not sure if that would effect whether it protruded or not.

Yes, the testosterone implants would effect being able to extend the penis.

I've got several steers and they ride one another all the time. Everytime one puts his head in the bunk some other prankster will sneak up behind him and away we go. Likely a domination thing. Like the others said, put him in the chute and check him out. More common than uncommon though.

Has anybody ever heard the expression "Gomer" bull. I believe it is used to represent a steer that you use as heat detection for AI purposes. Goes thru the motions but doesn't breed anything. Do "Gomers" have 1 nut or none?

Dub

A true Gomer is atualy a bul that has been modified to not be able to breed. May be via a penal deviation (side winder), vasectomy or years ago there was some kind of a dela that you out on them so they couldn;t extend their penis. We just select the horniest steer from each years calf crop and use him as a gomer.

dun

dun":1tfkl2d2 said:
A true Gomer is atualy a bul that has been modified to not be able to breed. May be via a penal deviation (side winder),
dun

Which would you rather be, the sidewinder or the next one on the truck to the packers, these are the things I think about. :lol: :lol:

I have a "steer" that was mounting evrything in sight back a week or so ago, but I don't recall seeing any pink, so I will let ya'll know in 275 days if mitchwi is right!! :lol:

I don't really think a stag would be able to settle a cow so long as he wasn't "just" castrated. I'd think with one or both testicles in the body cavity, the animal's own body heat would kill off any sperm. There's a good reason why they're normally placed outside. :lol:

Latest posts