Is everyone's farm up to date?

Help Support CattleToday:

Most everything on my farm is 10 years old or less. I started this one from scratch. I am also a bit anal about maintaining things. A sagging or broken fence worries me to death. A gate that doesn't swing or latch does the same thing to me. I can't help it. I also like curb appeal to my farm. Call it vanity or whatever but I like my farm to have a neat, organized appearance. I put equipment in sheds when I can. If I can't it is usually parked at the back of the property. The upside for me is that, other than the land note, I do not owe a penny on tractors, cows, facilities or implements. This allows me to put money that I make off of cattle back into improving the place.

HOSS":1xjbhchc said:
Most everything on my farm is 10 years old or less. I started this one from scratch. I am also a bit anal about maintaining things. A sagging or broken fence worries me to death. A gate that doesn't swing or latch does the same thing to me. I can't help it. I also like curb appeal to my farm. Call it vanity or whatever but I like my farm to have a neat, organized appearance. I put equipment in sheds when I can. If I can't it is usually parked at the back of the property. The upside for me is that, other than the land note, I do not owe a penny on tractors, cows, facilities or implements. This allows me to put money that I make off of cattle back into improving the place.

OK. Your so vain! :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j13oJajXx0M

Jogeephus":3ffvazjm said:
HOSS":3ffvazjm said:

And I didn't make a single penny off of that song even though it was about me :lol:

I've got some brand new cross fences. Just about everything else qualifies as "classic" Or homemade

Our farm is a mixture of 50 plus year old stuff and ten year or less stuff. My grandfather ran our farm for 50 plus years and his management practice was the only way to make money off of cattle was not to spend any of it. He never built ANY fence. If the cattle got out he would cut a few poles and put up where they got out. After many years most of the fence was just brush and poles piled up. As a result I spent most of my youth running cattle back in. Even though he ran 50 plus pairs we never had a head gate or good loading chute. His theory was if you could not handle a cow with a rope and a tree you did not have any business having cattle. Grandpa always thought a hayshed was a waste of money and always stored his hay in the edge of the field. My dad and I bought out one half of his operation in 2006 and my uncle bought the other half. We have been spending every dime we can on fences. We have now graduated from replacing the "there should be a fence here somewhere" sections that were rotted out so bad you did not know where they were, to now replacing the "a cow could walk through that anytime they want" sections. We have a total of 44,000ft of fence and have replaced around 20,000 ft so far. We are not near done yet but getting there slowly. We now have a head gate and loading chute on two of our three places we own, with plans with a sweep and head gate system on the third this year. The first time we worked calves with a head gate I never knew that working them could be so easy and safe. Slowly we are getting everything updated, but as most here know this is a long and sometimes expensive process. My dad nor I have shown a profit since we took over the place, but hope to at least get all the fences done in the next few years.

HOSS":3ls0r7uh said:

I'm with you Hoss.

I have been on my place for a little over 35 years. There are projects that I have been putting off for no more than 34 years. I will get to them eventually........ I think I will stop procrastinating next week.

Dave":2rq6qbnu said:
I have been on my place for a little over 35 years. There are projects that I have been putting off for no more than 34 years. I will get to them eventually........ I think I will stop procrastinating next week.

There will be an organizational meeting of procrastinators anonymous next Tuesday. We may need to push that date back a little though, so watch for the emails.

Yes and no. When it's time to replace I'll usually go new and do have some new equipment around but I do have fences up in the hills that are pushing a hundred years and they work just fine and will for another decade. I'm not a perfectionist by any stretch of the imagination so as long as something functions well enough that I can use it without to many breakdowns and safety is not an issue it gets to stay but the first time I throw a tool working on it or I see a chance of people getting hurt it goes away and gets replaced by something new.
I'm a mix of modern and old school. I do a lot of stuff the way the old guys taught me but when I see something modern that fits I do that too.

HOSS":kvf3fbbi said:
Jogeephus":kvf3fbbi said:
HOSS":kvf3fbbi said:

And I didn't make a single penny off of that song even though it was about me :lol:

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :tiphat: Good song.

Bigfoot":29h3xjip said:
Dave":29h3xjip said:

There will be an organizational meeting of procrastinators anonymous next Tuesday. We may need to push that date back a little though, so watch for the emails.
I joined a local support group for procrastinators 2 years ago, we still haven't got around to meeting, it was going to be next Friday but I'm thinking we may need to push it back another 6 months.

Latest posts