Is diarrhea ever just diarrhea?

Help Support CattleToday:

ABrauny

Reaction score
I was looking through a book on cattle health and it had a chart on diseases that diarrhea might be indicative of and it got me wondering is diarrhea ever just diarrhea or is it always the result of something else be it something as minor switching from dry feed to "green" feed or something serious like BVD? Furthermore are there any instances where diarrhea wouldn't concern you or is diarrhea always a concern?

KNERSIE

Reaction score
Diarrhea is always a concern in calves.

In mature animals I don't get concerned unless the animal is losing condition.

Banjo

Reaction score
ABrauny":2dipgt7t said:
I was looking through a book on cattle health and it had a chart on diseases that diarrhea might be indicative of and it got me wondering is diarrhea ever just diarrhea or is it always the result of something else be it something as minor switching from dry feed to "green" feed or something serious like BVD? Furthermore are there any instances where diarrhea wouldn't concern you or is diarrhea always a concern?

Diarrhea is certainly a concern in calves, especially when we feed Beef cows like they were Diary cows.My Dad built a 24 x 80 silo when I was about 15 years old, with growing cheap feed(corn silage)in mind for his cow herd. We fed silage for a few years but then he abandoned the silage route. I asked him just a few years ago why he quit feeding silage back then and he said " I lost too many calves to scours....the milk was too rich"
I had a friend of mine ask me just the other day if I ever had a problem with calves scouring and I said no....He said his brother in law has lost several lately with the scours,so I asked " What does he feed his cows?" and his said he feeds them really good,they are fat as they can be.
I'm grass only guy, no grain, no commercial fertilize, grass and hay are a cows natural diet stay away from the rich feed and you won't have much of a scour problem at least I don't.
Now if you have a cow with the scours and it persists it is probably from too much nitrates. We used to have 1 or 2 a year like that back when we poured the fertilize on especially Ammonia nitrate