is crossing a Dexter & a wagyu a good idea??

Help Support CattleToday:

Why would you want to? Breeding Dexters to be larger kind of defeats their purpose.

dun

Dun is right...

Dexters are a small, dual-purpose breed. There are people who breed Dexter bulls to larger breeds for calving ease, and others who use Dexters to "create" miniatures of other breeds. I think it'd be unwise to use a larger breed bull on a Dexter cow though.

Curious why you'd consider this particular cross????

I know of a man in Idaho that has several Dexter/wagyu crosses. He thinks that the cross is good for beef and the Dexters bring some hardiness to the wagyu and makes them mature a little faster.

Roy Atherton use to say that Dexters are very much like Wagyu, from what I have read he even felt they were related because the Dexter type were easy to put on the ships and when they got to Japan they were then crossed with the local ox type animals.

I think it very interesting that everytime I come across a question like this there is always some one who starts off with.. Why would you want too?? I wonder if you are really trying to help them.. 1 dont knock it if you dont try it first.. honestly it makes perfect sense to me.. the fact that some of you even mention using a dexter cows in that combination is my first red flag.. common sense is that a dexter bull would cover Wagyu cows. A couple of proven facts about both breads is the high quality beef they both produce. Arguably the 2 better/best tasting and tender beef curratly availbe. Some Dexter facts: duel purpose, very hearty, small compact, good tempermant. These facts being considered, here are some of the advantages I see.. easy calving, high quality beef, even better brood cows/mothers because of the dual purpose and small size. The mothers would produce very healthy calfs (a lot of milk) and you could probably double the number of head per acre. Honestly I think the best bet would be to keep only 50/50 Dexter/Wagyu cows and a 50/50 bull. This makes the most sense and the most profit using this cross. I would personally love to have a hard like that, but seems like it would take some time and effort to get there.

A guy by me has a bunch of Dexter cows bred to a wagyu bull. No calving issues from what I seen. The wagyu cattle isn't big as a blk angus cow so it's fine to put a wagyu bull on dexters. But the calves are uglier than my mother in law.

MNBelties said:
A guy by me has a bunch of Dexter cows bred to a wagyu bull. No calving issues from what I seen. The wagyu cattle isn't big as a blk angus cow so it's fine to put a wagyu bull on dexters. But the calves are uglier than my mother in law.

Lol, I won't tell her you shared that with us.

I know a dexter breeder who's neighbour breeds limousin and a couple of times a bull has jumped the fence and he's ended up with limousin calves but never had a calving problem. Reckons they spit them out easily.

TD Ranch said:
I think it very interesting that everytime I come across a question like this there is always some one who starts off with.. Why would you want too?? I wonder if you are really trying to help them.. 1 dont knock it if you dont try it first.. honestly it makes perfect sense to me.. the fact that some of you even mention using a dexter cows in that combination is my first red flag.. common sense is that a dexter bull would cover Wagyu cows. A couple of proven facts about both breads is the high quality beef they both produce. Arguably the 2 better/best tasting and tender beef curratly availbe. Some Dexter facts: duel purpose, very hearty, small compact, good tempermant. These facts being considered, here are some of the advantages I see.. easy calving, high quality beef, even better brood cows/mothers because of the dual purpose and small size. The mothers would produce very healthy calfs (a lot of milk) and you could probably double the number of head per acre. Honestly I think the best bet would be to keep only 50/50 Dexter/Wagyu cows and a 50/50 bull. This makes the most sense and the most profit using this cross. I would personally love to have a hard like that, but seems like it would take some time and effort to get there.
Every time I come across a 14 year old question, I go off on a long rant about it also

If you already had a dexter, I reckon that would be a good reason for wanting to breed it to a wagyu. Breeding dexters to dexters just gets more dexters and OP probably figured out that's going nowhere.

5S Cattle said:
TD Ranch said:
Every time I come across a 14 year old question, I go off on a long rant about it also
I think it is a shame to run off a new member for making an innocent mistake on their
very first post regarding a subject of interest to them. (Dexters)

The assumption of Wagyu being a larger breed and therefore harder calving is wrong.
The answer to 'why would you want to'.... is to increase the value of the calves produced by
Dexters. Crossing Dexter cows with a (tajima bloodline extreme calving ease) Wagyu bull
would increase the value of the dexter's calf.

Latest posts