Is COOL going to be a joke?

Help Support CattleToday:

bull56

Reaction score
Heard today that even though we as US Beef Producers have to keep record etc. for our cattle to prove that they were born, fed and processed here in the USA, packers have decided to take the easy way out and will be labelling all meat as a product of the USA, Canada & Mexico.

It seems to me that this is a slap in the face to us as beef producers. People that I have spoke with want to know where their meat comes from. But it seems that the packers are trying to play God and they say that consumers don't care where their meat comes from.

The USA has already sold out, and many of our products are imported, consumers are getting tired of it. Look at all the toy recalls during last Christmas, the pet food poisening because of foreign fillers, the recent salmonila problem that was thought to be from tomatoes and turned out it was from jalopenos from Mexico.

The packers seem to think we are a bunch of dumb consumers and we will buy the meat or else.

What's everyone elses thoughts.

If the packers have their way, Cool, will be a joke. They cant stand the thought of not being able to mix the meat from different animals from different contries together

The packers will play there games in an attempt to lessen cool.
Sounds like a marketing opportunity to me. I see the comeback of the small packer with a local market.

Need information.We ship dairy cattle in the U.S.A. every month and all of them need to be free TB and brucellosis and in good shape ready for 600 miles,but it's ever happen then a few days after they arrive one had to go for slaughter due to a bad teat injury.With the COOL you talking about is she canadian product or american.Do you think canadian cattle will sell with discount, because we hear that stuff for the last 7 days.

melanie":1ungie8a said:
Need information.We ship dairy cattle in the U.S.A. every month and all of them need to be free TB and brucellosis and in good shape ready for 600 miles,but it's ever happen then a few days after they arrive one had to go for slaughter due to a bad teat injury.With the COOL you talking about is she canadian product or american.Do you think canadian cattle will sell with discount, because we hear that stuff for the last 7 days.

The way the law was written she's supposed to be labeled Product of Canada (where raised) and USA (where slaughtered)...Unknown if they will be discounted- but there is more and more of a drive to buy USA product..

USDA is again trying to make COOL ineffective by allowing the Packers to just use multiple blanket labelings to again get generic beef-- but it sounds like Congress is in quite an uproar about it-and says thats not what the law reads-- and in just a few months there will be a change in D.C. and hopefully USDA's complete pandering to the Packers...

Up here they paying 1.13$ dress weight for 450lbs+ and 1.06$, 449lbs and down.They already talk to pay a lot cheaper after october 1 cause they figure the meat cows will not cross the border anymore.