Is climbing Mount Everest on your bucket list?

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave said:
snoopdog said:
25 or 30 years ago, I wanted to hike the pacific crest trail, had a friend that did the apalachian trail, not now. I've canoed rapids and lived on a creekbank in upper montana march thru september. I'll take a nice slow float and a warm bed nowadays.
I do understand the "want to" though.

I have hiked parts of the Pacific Crest trail. Now I tell my wife that we should go to trail heads, stand by the sign, and take our picture. My bucket list included hiking the Chilkoot Trail. I think I have aged out on that adventure. I had some friends who years ago hiked the Chilkoot. Got to Lake Labarge and built a boat and floated down the Yukon. Would have been an adventure but they were in their 30's when they did that.
I wanted to float the yukon also.

381 climbing permits for Mt Everest were issued this year.
It's a dangerous game with a death or 2 expected occasionally. 50 years ago it was something, but it's moved into being more of a me thing for bragging rights and selfies. The Sherpas are the heroes, not the guys who hire them.

TCRanch said:
The ex-husband of one of my friends attempted to climb Cho Oyu, the sixth-highest mountain in the world. Frostbite, internal bleeding, amputations. Got through that and now has brain cancer. I just don't get that kind of "adventure".
https://www.kansas.com/news/local/article96900047.html

Incredible story.

I used to pack mules out of Mineral King in the Sierra Nevadas. A couple of times a year I'd pack people into Whitney Portal and camp for a day or two while they made a day trip up the mountain. It always struck me as odd that they felt like such accomplished mountaineers for hiking for a day when I had drug them all over the back country and back on a guided tour for over a week.

This is why they're dying. Traffic jams slow the trip down. So crowded, the trip near the upper levels where there isn't much oxygen is taking much much longer to get up to the summit and then back down. The longer you stay at the upper altitudes trying to get up or back down, the harder it is on your system.

Dave said:
snoopdog said:
25 or 30 years ago, I wanted to hike the pacific crest trail, had a friend that did the apalachian trail, not now. I've canoed rapids and lived on a creekbank in upper montana march thru september. I'll take a nice slow float and a warm bed nowadays.
I do understand the "want to" though.

I have hiked parts of the Pacific Crest trail. Now I tell my wife that we should go to trail heads, stand by the sign, and take our picture. My bucket list included hiking the Chilkoot Trail. I think I have aged out on that adventure. I had some friends who years ago hiked the Chilkoot. Got to Lake Labarge and built a boat and floated down the Yukon. Would have been an adventure but they were in their 30's when they did that.

Several years ago I hiked the Grand Canyon with a group of Boy Scouts and then we went to the High Sierras in CA and spent 4 days in the Golden Trout Wilderness. We stopped at a trailhead of the Pacific Coast Trail and let the boys have their picture made at the sign just so they could say they had been on the PCT.

A good friend took his boys and hiked Kilimanjaro a few years ago, but I told him it doesn't count because they have porters carry all your gear!

greybeard said:
This is why they're dying. Traffic jams slow the trip down. So crowded, the trip near the upper levels where there isn't much oxygen is taking much much longer to get up to the summit and then back down. The longer you stay at the upper altitudes trying to get up or back down, the harder it is on your system.

That many people walking and talking, would sapp enough oxygen out of the air alone..

greybeard said:

One would think that people who are interested in that kind of thing would do some homework and know the ins and outs.

ALACOWMAN said:
sstterry said:
They should have some sort of control at base camp and only let so many up at a time!
Apparently they do and it's 11k a pop, keep the money coming They'll leave the chain down.. :cowboy:

With that many people up there, that is a pot-load of cash! Anyone want to go halvsies with me and buy Mt. Everest? Looks like a lucrative investment!

One wrong step there and it is your last one. Coming down would be worse than going up IMO.

me3.jpg

Latest posts