Is Cattle Farming solely your income ?

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Is there anyone in here that solely cattle farms for there sole income and doesn't work a job or own a business to make other income? I have wondered that I know some are retired and farm full time now but just wondered if anyone fell into the sole cattle farming category.

I could be and plan to be before to long, but as long as the work keeps comeing we are going to take it so we can buy more land and cattle to make the farm even better.

denvermartinfarms":2ye5srnt said:
I could be and plan to be before to long, but as long as the work keeps comeing we are going to take it so we can buy more land and cattle to make the farm even better.

I just couldn't stop running my business and grain farming just to do cattle. I guess I will always do all 3 as long as I can. I love fooling with cattle but I don't have anywhere near the cattle to maintain my income that I make with the business and grain farming operation. Don't get me wrong I would love to just do that but the $$$ is the problem.

skyhightree1":1578j9i9 said:
denvermartinfarms":1578j9i9 said:

I just couldn't stop running my business and grain farming just to do cattle. I guess I will always do all 3 as long as I can. I love fooling with cattle but I don't have anywhere near the cattle to maintain my income that I make with the business and grain farming operation. Don't get me wrong I would love to just do that but the $$$ is the problem.
I understand, and I couldn't do it with just my momma cows, it takes a lot of different ways to make a living with cattle. At least for someone like me that has started with nothing and can't have all the land you need all at first.

Denver, A smart young man like you could marry a rich woman and live off of her! Just keep the cows to have a place to get away from her!

Thanks, I just thank god everyday for giving me the opportunity's to get to do what I love to make a living at my age. I know others my age who are the same way but they got a good free start, and started even younger than I did, not that I have any problem with that, but they do have an advantage.

ran a dairy for almost 30yrs.farmed while we dairied.now weve slowed down to just running beef cattle an doing what we want.so we are still fulltime in the cattle business an have been for well over 40yrs.

Cattle farming never was our family's "sole" source...in general, farming (crops and livestock) was the sole source up until 1981. Around 2010 I accepted the realization that it is now only a lifestyle. A lot of work and risk, but no where near able to sustain a living.

Can't make it off cows here either. At one time I thought I could but no way it will happen here. Cows are a full time job if your going to make your living only off of them. I don't like to be tied down, when the wife gets fussing I am a leaving. If it's hot I am heading north, and If it ain't, there's no telling where I might end up.

My profit margin is good but I couldn't come close to living off of it. Bulk of my land is paid for this year but I bought a house .......
You get the idea.

greybeard":wv0syor2 said:
Nope--I'd starve if I had to rely on it alone.
Investment income pays most my bills and playing around.

I like to use the $$ I do get to buy toys and also feed the habit so it doesnt come out of my real income.

I've farmed full time my whole life, I've never had a real job. That being said the cattle are a sideline, row crops I would say are our primary business, cattle are probably a third of our total revenue.

Farming has been good to us and if I had it to do over I would do it again. In my thinking I've been called by God to farm, to supply food to His people. When I climb on a tractor I often tell myself "I'm going to run this thing to the glory of God and give it my absolute best".

I've made my share of mistakes, been through some tough times, but wouldn't trade it for anything.

Larry

Latest posts