Is anyone still trying to bale hay

Help Support CattleToday:

cowsrus

Reaction score
It's so late in the year and the weather is changing so fast, i was just wondering if anyone else was still trying to get some late hay put up.

Shoot we are hoping to grow some. All depends on how soon it gets cold. A late killing frost and we can bale all the way into November.

heck we are still trying to get the hay up.but between the custom baler getting sick after baling 50 rolls.then coming back an baling 50.the rain hitt.so we will be 2wks cutting the last 30acs.an that should make 100 bales.an then the hay will be done.

I'm still at it but its slowing down. Got 3 fields I could cut but I'd like to get it a little taller yet.

Giving rain here all week but hope to get back at it next week. Still have 55 acres to cut. Hope there will be 300 rolls. Going to turn the cows in on the rest around Jan 1.

Kicked out the last bale a little past 6pm today. Man, that's a good feeling.

With our shytty drought year, and our 3-4 month growing season we are hoping to get a little second cut baled tomorrow. We haven't had rain in a month and have had temps in the 80's, good for haying really shytty for pasture..

I am hoping we get at least 1 bale per 5 acres ..last year we got 5-6 bales per acre.. :(

Here's to next year... 8)

About 75 acres left. Hoping some rain will drop in for a little more growth. Regardless, it's getting finished up in the next couple of weeks.

Got my last 25 acres cut down last Wednesday. Thursday morning it rained 2.9". Got it teddered up Friday and baled Saturday. Rain didn't hurt it at all from the looks of it. Got hay to last through to springtime. :D

I have 30 acres of alfalfa that I am mowing tommorrow and wrapping in plastic.

As soon as the rain let up we are going for the 3rd and the 4th on 40 acrs. Has been a good years and were able to get enough litter to fill the farm plan this year.
Don't need it but next years could be dry.

Welp, we have only about 20-30 bale-able acres left here. Lots of prairie hay around here this year, and that should make for cheap grass come winter. Had so much growth in the bottom ground where I work that I put in 22 hours shredding the marsh grass and thistle. Gonna kick cows out on the windrows and let them put it to good use. The good grass will be laid down this week.

Northern Minn here right up by the Canadian border...

we have hay laying down but it sure doesn't want to dry! It's been in the 80's the past 4-5 days but the humidity is up a bit and the days are just too short. If my stepsons didn't get it all up yesterday, they should by today, (Hopefully!) as it's supposed to rain tonight or tomorrow!! :roll:

sure is some pretty stuff though!

Latest posts