Is AI school worth it?

Help Support CattleToday:

Maybe check with your local county extension offices. I'd never heard of them offered around here either, then happened to hear a blurb on the local radio station one day about one in a neighboring county. I started checking and found 2 or 3. One was being held at the local sale barn, so that may be another avenue to check. The only problem here is they're all held through the week. I'll need to use vacation time to make it work, but still plan to do it soon.

Dash, they have one over in the Trenton fl area every now and then at one of the dairies. Last one I heard about wad 2 years ago. I've been wanting to do it as well. If I hear anything I'll let you know.

JSCATTLE":btys40r9 said:
ricebeltrancher":btys40r9 said:
I was already certified, but took the class last year for palpating. Well worth the money, impo. Just make sure you eat at J. Cody's while you're there!
Is that a steak place or what ? Im hoping to be able to palate at least when I get back . Did you feel like 4 days was enough to learn to a I ?

One of the best!

I think the sooner you get back in cows after taking the class, the better. Two friends of ours stuck cows in their first breeding season after taking it. Honestly, I felt like I would have gotten better sooner if I had taken this class first instead of the one in college. Lots of practical information, and they really want to make sure that you're getting it. Money well spent, impo. Palpation was very good, too.

SEIOWACATTLE":10aipdpp said:
Does any one recommend one of the major AI schools over the other? Select Sires, Genex, etc...
The genex class was very informative. I was able to get 2 out of 3 Ai'd when I got home. Had a little problem with a fat heifer , my Ai tech did her In 5 seconds.

The class at the headquarters was the most reasonable price.

Wish I had done it years ago.

Red Bull Breeder":xsoxgwvn said:
Hoss went to a AI school in Ms. or Al.
I went to the one at Mississippi State. It is a 2 day course. Shorter than most but with good instructors and LOTS of hands on at the barn. They line up about 30 dairy cull cows and you practice all you want. If they can teach me they can teach anybody. I think it was around 300.00 and put on by the local ag extension using MSU's facilities. I would recommend it. They also let you attend the class free every year if you need a refresher after you pay for and attend the first one.

M-5":3bhwggnf said:
I too have been wanting to take a course. I have searched and it looks like UT is the closest one. If anybody else knows of another one in AL, FL, GA let me know please

Hey M dash I think ABS has a school in Okeechobee at johnnys ? Check out the ABS site for AI classes.

But just because it's Florida doesn't mean it's close to you. I'm 3000 miles away :tiphat:

Hoss...(not to hijack the thread)...why would you choose the Miss St course over the one at Spring Hill which would be more local to you? Reason I ask is my wife and I are considering taking the training in Sept. if we can get in...Thanks for input!

pappy6":3nqwu9ua said:
Hoss...(not to hijack the thread)...why would you choose the Miss St course over the one at Spring Hill which would be more local to you? Reason I ask is my wife and I are considering taking the training in Sept. if we can get in...Thanks for input!
Expense and time. The SH course was more expensive and had more weekdays involved. I would have had to take more days off work, spent more for the class and still had to pay for a hotel. I live too far from SH for a daily commute. The timing and cost was better at MSU for me at the time.