Ironhide Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
The calf in this picture to the left of Gimli is an Ironhide. Dam is a Hudson Pine/Rocking P cow. Born 9/15/2017. 93 pounds at birth. 288 day gestation. Estimated weight 400 to 425. Gentle as a lamb.

28uochj.jpg

Another view
1zyzx1c.jpg

Bright Raven said:
The calf in this picture to the left of Gimli is an Ironhide. Dam is a Hudson Pine/Rocking P cow. Born 9/15/2017. 93 pounds at birth. 288 day gestation. Estimated weight 400 to 425. Gentle as a lamb.

Maybe I am the only person who does not know.

What is an Ironhide calf? Is Ironhide the name of the sire?

93 pounds is a big calf at birth.

Nice calf see how he grows more. Ron have you or firesweep noticed any of his calves being a little rounder in the hip than some? We had a few and some were but others weren't. They sure are stout and big middled cattle though.

Franke":2cpe50m0 said:
Nice calf see how he grows more. Ron have you or firesweep noticed any of his calves being a little rounder in the hip than some? We had a few and some were but others weren't. They sure are stout and big middled cattle though.

Yes. One of mine is.

I bought 5 straws. I stuck three last year. I used the other two this year. One of those has stuck. Waiting on the other.

The calves have great docility. Hopefully, Fire Sweep will add some comments.

The tractor is a 5083E 2012.

True Grit Farms":2rq8p1ur said:
What's the BW and sex on the other Ironside calves?

1. Bull. DOB 9/7/17. 273 days. BW 86.
2. Heifer. DOB 9/16/17. 281 days. BW 82.

This calf:
3. Bull. DOB 9/15/17. 288 days. BW 93.

I got one cow confirmed bred this season. And one that has not passed over.

Ron, about time you got a set of scales so no guessing their weight. Nice group there Ron.

I'd settle for 93lb BW even on my heifers, lately I've had a run of them around the 45kg mark (100lb)

Ken

wbvs58":3p6ak7e4 said:
Ron, about time you got a set of scales so no guessing their weight. Nice group there Ron.

I'd settle for 93lb BW even on my heifers, lately I've had a run of them around the 45kg mark (100lb)

Ken

I need a set of scales.

What is you running average on BW?

Nice stout calf. Does not seem to have the rounded rear quarters that his sire has.
I do not use 1/2 blood bulls, so I have not checked him out.
Ron, do you leave all your bull calves intact? I band the majority of my bulls. I "look" for a reason to band them, LOL It takes a really superior calf to be left a bull here. We band at birth, may pull one in at 1-2 months & band, and cut them at the 3 and 4 month workup. Out of maybe 20 bulls, I will only have 3-5 to sell as bulls.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3vf28atl said:
Nice stout calf. Does not seem to have the rounded rear quarters that his sire has.
I do not use 1/2 blood bulls, so I have not checked him out.
Ron, do you leave all your bull calves intact? I band the majority of my bulls. I "look" for a reason to band them, LOL It takes a really superior calf to be left a bull here. We band at birth, may pull one in at 1-2 months & band, and cut them at the 3 and 4 month workup. Out of maybe 20 bulls, I will only have 3-5 to sell as bulls.

I don't band. I have the vet come out at weaning and cut them. By weaning, they will have had their second Covexin 8. That also covers tetanus. In the past, I have had a couple per year that I sell as bulls.

To the best of my knowledge, you don't need to worry about tetanus if you cut, only banding is a potential problem.
I have been told (don't know how true it is) that I don't need to worry about banding if done at birth.
Knock on wood - hasn't been a problem past 5 years. (Ken always cut, even at birth).

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2uap1qg2 said:
To the best of my knowledge, you don't need to worry about tetanus if you cut, only banding is a potential problem.
I have been told (don't know how true it is) that I don't need to worry about banding if done at birth.
Knock on wood - hasn't been a problem past 5 years. (Ken always cut, even at birth).

Tetanus is more a risk with banding because of the necrosis. But any wound has the potential for a Clostridum tetani infection.

True Grit Farms":30tluakm said:
What's the BW and sex on the other Ironside calves?
We have had four heifers at 74, 74, 75, and 79. Then two bulls at 78 and 80. All pretty small for embryo calves in mature cows I think.

NonTypicalCPA":1rp035c6 said:
Nice looking calf, but I like Gimli better!

I absolutely adore Gimli. You really cannot appreciate how fluffy and cute he is unless you see him in person.

Bright Raven":a355bjm9 said:
wbvs58":a355bjm9 said:

Ken

I need a set of scales.

Ron I just worked it out and for my 29 calves from cows and heifers they averaged 40.4kg but an early one at 18kg and a 28kg twin helped that a bit. My heifers are the problem though 7 averaged 42.3kg, a 48kg and a couple around the 45kg mark. The 48kg one did not end well, she went down in the crush while I was pulling it with my Dr Franks, I was by myself and the pole of the puller got wedged under her I had little option than to keep cranking hoping that I would get away with it but of course the angles all wrong. I got the calf out and it was still twitching but couldn't be revived and the heifer bled out inside. I should have known better but you take chances when you are exhausted and by yourself. Ironically I had set a post in the ground in front of the crush to hang a panel off so I can put a halter on them then let them through to this alley and tie them up and work on them and if they go down I just open up the panel and can then work on them unhindered by the sides of the crush but at the time I did not have it sorted, it'll be right for this year. I do feel that I let her down though.

My problem has to be nutrition though they had not been fed they had run of the place while the main cow herd went into the rough scrub block next door after I weaned their calves, this year the heifers will be going in there also. The bulls I used were proven low BW.

Ken

wbvs58":2qh5zk6s said:
Bright Raven":2qh5zk6s said:
wbvs58":2qh5zk6s said:

Ken

I need a set of scales.

Ron I just worked it out and for my 29 calves from cows and heifers they averaged 40.4kg but an early one at 18kg and a 28kg twin helped that a bit. My heifers are the problem though 7 averaged 42.3kg, a 48kg and a couple around the 45kg mark. The 48kg one did not end well, she went down in the crush while I was pulling it with my Dr Franks, I was by myself and the pole of the puller got wedged under her I had little option than to keep cranking hoping that I would get away with it but of course the angles all wrong. I got the calf out and it was still twitching but couldn't be revived and the heifer bled out inside. I should have known better but you take chances when you are exhausted and by yourself. Ironically I had set a post in the ground in front of the crush to hang a panel off so I can put a halter on them then let them through to this alley and tie them up and work on them and if they go down I just open up the panel and can then work on them unhindered by the sides of the crush but at the time I did not have it sorted, it'll be right for this year. I do feel that I let her down though.

My problem has to be nutrition though they had not been fed they had run of the place while the main cow herd went into the rough scrub block next door after I weaned their calves, this year the heifers will be going in there also. The bulls I used were proven low BW.

Ken
EPD's aren't proven, the results are the proof. This BW deal is very interesting to me, I have gave it lots of thought. Every breeder that produces good bulls has good cows and feeds them accordingly. So if every cow is fed the same feed and hay, why isn't every calf big? It has to be the cow. Most folks keep, buy and sell their biggest heifers, is that the problem? And when it comes to ET cows and AI bulls everyone feeds them good. Very few operations that use AI, don't try and sell seedstock. And you can't sell seedstock that hasn't been fed up. Some producers feed up using hay only, but using 14 to 15+ percent hay is better than most feed you can buy. I know folks that feed alfalfa hay and claim their stock has been raised on grass and hay only. It just doesn't add up to me that feed is the cause of high birth weights, or everyone that uses AI with good feed - grass would have high birth weights.

Truegrit, over the last few years I have mostly used SAV Thunderbird, Sydgen Black Pearl and GAR Prophet on the heifers, all 3 have similar BW, Prophet not as good as the other two in Calving ease direct. Of the 3 bulls Thunderbird is the only one I have not had any trouble with he is truly sleep all night calving ease, born very easy maybe a kilo or two lighter but within a couple of weeks are amongst the heaviest. Black Pearl has the best figures overall but is the one I have had most trouble with frequently 45kg calves with the heifers. Note these figures are Australian EBV's.

With my main cow herd they usually come out of my Jenny Craig scrub block about 2 weeks before the first ones start calving. Anecdotal evidence suggests that the early ones to calve have the lowest birthweights while the late calvers get more time on the better home pasture and tend to have heavier calves.

With regard to selling bulls, yes we get seedstock producers here claiming their bulls are not fed grain but are just run on green winter oat crops, personally I don't see any difference to feeding them grain.

Ken

Latest posts