Ironhide Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

wbvs58":15bvc4wf said:
Bright Raven":15bvc4wf said:
wbvs58":15bvc4wf said:
Ron, about time you got a set of scales so no guessing their weight. Nice group there Ron.

I'd settle for 93lb BW even on my heifers, lately I've had a run of them around the 45kg mark (100lb)

Ken

I need a set of scales.

What is you running average on BW?

Ron I just worked it out and for my 29 calves from cows and heifers they averaged 40.4kg but an early one at 18kg and a 28kg twin helped that a bit. My heifers are the problem though 7 averaged 42.3kg, a 48kg and a couple around the 45kg mark. The 48kg one did not end well, she went down in the crush while I was pulling it with my Dr Franks, I was by myself and the pole of the puller got wedged under her I had little option than to keep cranking hoping that I would get away with it but of course the angles all wrong. I got the calf out and it was still twitching but couldn't be revived and the heifer bled out inside. I should have known better but you take chances when you are exhausted and by yourself. Ironically I had set a post in the ground in front of the crush to hang a panel off so I can put a halter on them then let them through to this alley and tie them up and work on them and if they go down I just open up the panel and can then work on them unhindered by the sides of the crush but at the time I did not have it sorted, it'll be right for this year. I do feel that I let her down though.

My problem has to be nutrition though they had not been fed they had run of the place while the main cow herd went into the rough scrub block next door after I weaned their calves, this year the heifers will be going in there also. The bulls I used were proven low BW.

Ken

Thanks. I would not have expected your birth weights to be that high. As you know, mine run high and I also attribute it to nutrition.

Bright Raven":3vjj5ov6 said:
wbvs58":3vjj5ov6 said:
Bright Raven":3vjj5ov6 said:
I need a set of scales.

What is you running average on BW?

Ron I just worked it out and for my 29 calves from cows and heifers they averaged 40.4kg but an early one at 18kg and a 28kg twin helped that a bit. My heifers are the problem though 7 averaged 42.3kg, a 48kg and a couple around the 45kg mark. The 48kg one did not end well, she went down in the crush while I was pulling it with my Dr Franks, I was by myself and the pole of the puller got wedged under her I had little option than to keep cranking hoping that I would get away with it but of course the angles all wrong. I got the calf out and it was still twitching but couldn't be revived and the heifer bled out inside. I should have known better but you take chances when you are exhausted and by yourself. Ironically I had set a post in the ground in front of the crush to hang a panel off so I can put a halter on them then let them through to this alley and tie them up and work on them and if they go down I just open up the panel and can then work on them unhindered by the sides of the crush but at the time I did not have it sorted, it'll be right for this year. I do feel that I let her down though.

My problem has to be nutrition though they had not been fed they had run of the place while the main cow herd went into the rough scrub block next door after I weaned their calves, this year the heifers will be going in there also. The bulls I used were proven low BW.

Ken

Thanks. I would not have expected your birth weights to be that high. As you know, mine run high and I also attribute it to nutrition.
I've had the opportunity to see and tour some of the top name cattle ranches and farms in pure bred seed stock business. The things they have in common are top of the line cows and great pastures and feed programs. They all manage their herds differently, but the cows show no rib. My guess is a 6+ on condition.

Protein affects birth weights. You can believe what you want, but it has been proven over and over. There are some that want to deprive their cattle the higher protein during the last trimester because they want to reduce the BW so that they won't have calving difficulties. There was an article I had put in my newsletter, where research showed an increase of 10# maintaining a higher protein ration over a low one during last trimester. BUT, they had more dystocia & weak calves in the lower protein group. They said the dam doesn't have as much energy to push hard and the calves are weak before all the stress of calving.
Cold temperatures affect BW a LOT.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":s47g9yra said:
Protein affects birth weights. You can believe what you want, but it has been proven over and over. There are some that want to deprive their cattle the higher protein during the last trimester because they want to reduce the BW so that they won't have calving difficulties. There was an article I had put in my newsletter, where research showed an increase of 10# maintaining a higher protein ration over a low one during last trimester. BUT, they had more dystocia & weak calves in the lower protein group. They said the dam doesn't have as much energy to push hard and the calves are weak before all the stress of calving.
Cold temperatures affect BW a LOT.

Thanks for that information. That says a lot about my birth weights. They might be high but my calves come out very healthy.

I expect my BW's to be lower this year because we were unable to put up any hay at least 3 weeks later than a normal year due to all the rain. I have not tested my hay, but I "know" it is not what it should be in protein.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":38fo7ibm said:
I expect my BW's to be lower this year because we were unable to put up any hay at least 3 weeks later than a normal year due to all the rain. I have not tested my hay, but I "know" it is not what it should be in protein.

Question: I didn't test my hay but assume it is low in protein. My cows have just been bred so by the second trimester they will be on good forage. How much does low protein in the diet affect the calf if it is limited to the first trimester only?

I don't think your cows need to worry!!!!
Actually, the research shows the last trimester is the most important for the CALF. As long as the cow is not below like a 4.5 to 5 at calving, they should be fine. My cows (and I'm sure yours) are usually more in the 6 to 6.5 range, but, looking over the mature cows, I think they have lost some condition but nothing drastic. Not really worried about them, just curious to see what my BW do this year.
I castrate any bull over 100#, no matter what. I have a friend that has bought many females from me and uses every bull I use, so his herd is a mini Simme Valley. He only lives 1.5 hours away and he is always chastising me for cutting such great bulls saying it just because my cows are in such good condition (not that his are thin). I stick to cutting them. I cannot afford to talk a buyer into using a high BW bull and if they had ONE calving difficulty, it would be all my breeding program's fault. Not worth it. Reputation is EVERYTHING.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":394kh781 said:
Actually, the research shows the last trimester is the most important for the CALF. As long as the cow is not below like a 4.5 to 5 at calving, they should be fine. My cows (and I'm sure yours) are usually more in the 6 to 6.5 range, but, looking over the mature cows, I think they have lost some condition but nothing drastic. Not really worried about them, just curious to see what my BW do this year.
I castrate any bull over 100#, no matter what. I have a friend that has bought many females from me and uses every bull I use, so his herd is a mini Simme Valley. He only lives 1.5 hours away and he is always chastising me for cutting such great bulls saying it just because my cows are in such good condition (not that his are thin). I stick to cutting them. I cannot afford to talk a buyer into using a high BW bull and if they had ONE calving difficulty, it would be all my breeding program's fault. Not worth it. Reputation is EVERYTHING.

Thank you.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":o50wwgpp said:
It is everything in the business and I applaud your stance we do the same. Nothing over 100 lbs stays intact. :clap:

Franke":2uhg8f6r said:
It is everything in the business and I applaud your stance we do the same. Nothing over 100 lbs stays intact. :clap:

I hope that excludes husbands, boyfriends and male children.

Bright Raven":32a3q9td said:
Franke":32a3q9td said:

I hope that excludes husbands, boyfriends and male children.
Ha ha yes

Latest posts