Iron Works

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
Northern Kentucky has some history I have heard all my life but didn't know until I saw it on KET.

Stewart Iron Works is an American ironworks plant in Erlanger, Kentucky. It is one of the city's oldest manufacturing firms and at its peak was the largest iron fence maker in the world. Stewart's is the second-oldest iron company in continuous operation in the United States. Based at 30 Kenton Lands Rd, its first location was at 8th & Madison in Covington, Kentucky. Owned by the Stewart Iron Works Co., Inc., it was established by the Scottish American Stewart family. The company was founded in 1862 and incorporated in 1910.

It is interesting. Covington and Newport was considered second only to Chicago in organized crime (gangsters). And third only to Atlantic City and Vegas in gambling. No wonder my family has so many ruthless characters.

From its beginnings as a military outpost in 1803, Newport had an aura of sin. Sitting at the edge of civilization in what was then the American West, the Northern Kentucky city developed into a lawless slip on the Ohio River – where drinking, prostitution, gambling and gunplay were the natural order.

Bright Raven":y1troltm said:
Northern Kentucky has some history I have heard all my life but didn't know until I saw it on KET.

Stewart Iron Works is an American ironworks plant in Erlanger, Kentucky. It is one of the city's oldest manufacturing firms and at its peak was the largest iron fence maker in the world. Stewart's is the second-oldest iron company in continuous operation in the United States. Based at 30 Kenton Lands Rd, its first location was at 8th & Madison in Covington, Kentucky. Owned by the Stewart Iron Works Co., Inc., it was established by the Scottish American Stewart family. The company was founded in 1862 and incorporated in 1910.

It is interesting. Covington and Newport was considered second only to Chicago in organized crime (gangsters). And third only to Atlantic City and Vegas in gambling. No wonder my family has so many ruthless characters.

From its beginnings as a military outpost in 1803, Newport had an aura of sin. Sitting at the edge of civilization in what was then the American West, the Northern Kentucky city developed into a lawless slip on the Ohio River – where drinking, prostitution, gambling and gunplay were the natural order.

That is interesting. I've been through that area many times but was unaware of the history.

TT: read this.

Bookmaking. Depravities of the flesh. Corruption. Enough of this activity and a town will earn the nickname "Sin City."

But the place in question is not Las Vegas or Tijuana.

It was Newport.

Newport, known as America's Playground from the 1920s to 1960s, served as stomping grounds for celebrities like Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and Shirley MacLaine. It was also a place U.S. Attorney General Robert Kennedy condemned in 1963 as "known nationally for wide-open gambling and prostitution," and where "law enforcement was deeply corrupted."

Bright Raven":3b5gdxt3 said:

Interesting. You should read New Orleans history. It was the largest city in the US when Newport was just getting into vice. A lot of us worked for "The Little Man" in one of his restaurants.

Latest posts