Irish Blacks and Irish Reds

Help Support CattleToday:

breed-standards1-s.jpg

http://americancelticcattleassoc.com/index.php

I keep hoping someone will jump in that's used some of the bulls. I've talked to a couple of men that used the bulls and then bought some pure cows and became breeders. Maybe today.

That photo... it's been well over twenty years since I set eyes on the bull but he reminds me of a Luing on one of the farms I worked.
Which I thought was Highland/Shorthorn - whether a cross or a stabilised composite I don't know. Hails from the same part of the world, more or less.

Luing is a scottish breed made with 25% Highland, the rest Shorthorn (English breed).
Irish black and red are made from Friesian cattle (Netherlands) with a tad Angus (Scotland), in the United States. Why is it Irish?

ANAZAZI":apazckgn said:
Luing is a scottish breed made with 25% Highland, the rest Shorthorn (English breed).
Irish black and red are made from Friesian cattle (Netherlands) with a tad Angus (Scotland), in the United States. Why is it Irish?
Nationality of the guy that started the breed maybe?

Supposedly they are doing some DNA work on the Irish Blacks. I believe they think they are more or less Welsh Black cattle. Herd from a fellow Welsh Black breeder that the creators of the Irish Blacks bought a bull from him to start this DNA work on. That was 2 years ago, not sure what the findings were.

Every few months or so this same question of "What are Irish Blacks - What are Irish Reds??" pops up on the Forum. Instead of wondering and surmising and throwing around incorrect assumptions about them - why don't you go online (http://www.Irish Blacks - Irish Reds Beef Cattle.com) and find out from the cow's mouth?

Six or seven years ago I worked with Eric Grant (who is now the new General Manager and President of the Angus Journal) in helping develop the new web site for the then developer of the Breed. His name was Maurice Boney. Eric and I worked with him for several months attempting to sort of 'bring him into the modern beef cattle world' with EPD's, up-to-date merchandising and advertising protocols. He had a copyright protocol with the cattle which held back the real potential of the breed developing into a formidable part of beef production in his lifetime., I heard a few months ago that he had passed away (he was in his 90's), and the breed was being extended by someone else, but that is all I know at this time. In my opinion, the breed had the potential of evolving and advancing into a terrific addition to the Beef Cattle industry, IF it had been handled correctly. The copyright protocol clamped a restriction on its advancement into a profitable beef breed for todays market possibilities.

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts