Irish Angus bulls??

Help Support CattleToday:

IHman

Reaction score
Just talked to a neighbor/friend that says he just talked to a fella out in Colorado that sells Irish Angus cattle and claims that one of theses Irish Angus bull can cover 60-70 cows. I have never heard of such a thing. I personally think it is a bunch of BS and wouldnt want to try it, could end up with bunch of open or late cows in the spring. Has anyone on here heard of these bulls or know this guy? I guess he has an add in the Wallaces Farmer magazine. What is makes these Irish bulls different from an Aberdeen Angus?? TIA

I believe what you are referring to is the Irish Black breed. They are a trademarked breed that seems to be a composite of Beef Friesian + Angus. I believe they are recognized as a breed in and of themselves and were line bred to achieve the final product. The breed has sparked interest as well as criticism on the board in regard to claims made on their behalf. I do know you have to sign a trademark infringement contract as not to dilute the gene pool by using half bred offspring as herdsires etc.

A search of Irish black on these boards as well as on Google will yield interesting facts.

Regards,
Greenjeans

IHman":2v0hb6uq said:
Just talked to a neighbor/friend that says he just talked to a fella out in Colorado that sells Irish Angus cattle and claims that one of theses Irish Angus bull can cover 60-70 cows. I have never heard of such a thing. I personally think it is a bunch of BS and wouldnt want to try it, could end up with bunch of open or late cows in the spring. Has anyone on here heard of these bulls or know this guy? I guess he has an add in the Wallaces Farmer magazine. What is makes these Irish bulls different from an Aberdeen Angus?? TIA

He's probably talking about "Irish Blacks", not Irish Angus. Here's a link to the website. See if it's about what you've been told. (I understand they now come in red, too)

http://www.irishblacks.com/

Ok maybe my neighbor just misunderstood & is thinking they are angus. He did say that you can get a red one but they were sold out. He normally runs red angus bulls on charolais cows. So what makes these bulls able to cover so many cows? Would like to hear some first hand comments. Will check out the website, thanks for the replies everyone.

IHman":2erl5epi said:
in what time frame.. .with a good bull in the right enviroment its not impossible

alacattleman":23ckoysg said:
IHman":23ckoysg said:
in what time frame.. .with a good bull in the right enviroment its not impossible

Most bulls can cover 60-70 cows in 6 months

alacattleman":30k5yadi said:
dun[u:30k5yadi said:
":30k5yadi]Maybe they're generic angus [/u]that are from imports from Ireland
could'nt they get that here, and save on shipping? :p
The big deal now is getting semen from some of the older style angus bulls from the mother country

If your friend is claiming they will cover that many cows he is definately talking about IRISH BLACKS. They are fine cattle, seem to have it all including great potency. They are just too expensive for me to own. I tried.! If you are lucky they will sell you one of the lower end bulls for $3000. But when you move up at all they get pretty pricy.

And then there is the contract you will have to sign. They also keep their own registry so you play their game or you don't play at all.

We had a Shorthorn bull that easily covered 70 cows minimum in a 4 month joining.

Nothing impossible about a bull breeding 60-70 cows, a good bull can do it AND hold his condition quite reasonably.

One of the experiment stations once did a project on bulls in range conditions. I think they turned four bulls out with something like 110 cows and then parentage tested the resulting calves. The dominant bull sired ~60% of the calves.

Killala":bu9izqyj said:
We had a Shorthorn bull that easily covered 70 cows minimum in a 4 month joining.

Nothing impossible about a bull breeding 60-70 cows, a good bull can do it AND hold his condition quite reasonably.

Can he do it in 3-4 weeks for short calving season????

yeah i have heard that story about the british white, the guy turned out 1 british white with 2 angus bulls on 100 black cows and over 60 calves were white. he said that it was easy to "spot" the sire. :lol2: :lol: i read an article about some people who have brought some original angus back. amerifax are the breed that is angus x beef fresian cross.

When anything "new" appears on the scene, there are always those who will criticize and condemn before they know what they are talking about. This narrow-minded tendency is termed "Condemnation Before Investigation".

Log onto the "Irish Blacks" website, www.irishblacks.com, and read ALL of the information before you consider it BS. I personally did the customer interviews on the website that you can click on, and read for yourself. They are a remarkable breed - A REMARKABLE BREED! I would suggest that one not condemn the Cattle by concentrating on the particulars of the Contract, Paper work, Politics, or anything else in relationship to the capabilities of the animals themselves! Judge the CATTLE - not the prejudices.

READ ALL of the website links - then be open minded and think for yourself! I personally saw a heifer that had just dropped a new calf fight off a pack of Coyotes when she could hardly stand, but she protected that new baby with her life! We got to the scene in time to "discourage" the Coyotes.

The breed is linebred from a Friesian-Angus composite and linebred for about 40 years! SOCKO cattle!
The claims about the potency of the bulls is fact. Read about it.

DOC HARRIS

"Can he do it in 3-4 weeks for short calving season????
We have a Jersey bull (16-18mths old at the time) cover 80 cows in 6 weeks poor little buggar we didn't realise we had so many open cows or we would have used the older bull as well. 60 cows biggest majority calved in 4 weeks still have about 10 still to calve

Loch Valley Fold":3fy00dbi said:
"Can he do it in 3-4 weeks for short calving season????
We have a Jersey bull (16-18mths old at the time) cover 80 cows in 6 weeks poor little buggar we didn't realise we had so many open cows or we would have used the older bull as well. 60 cows biggest majority calved in 4 weeks still have about 10 still to calve

I don't doubt it on a jersey. Probably would have bred more except for extremely good fencing. :lol: