Iodine Solution Strength?

Help Support CattleToday:

Brett Enright

Reaction score
OK when my dad put ear tags in the calves ears, one of them bled. He had a small amount of weak iodine solution left over, but doesn't know at what strength it was.

I have a bottle of 'Strong Iodine Solution' 'Animal Health Care Products'. The strength is 100g/litre or 10%. Now how much do I need to 'water' this down, or what percentage hould the strength be to spray on cut areas of calves to prevent infection?

Thanks.
Brett.

Brett, as usual the best thing to do is read and follow the label instructions. I think the iodine solution we use is 7%, but I can't tell you for sure without going to the chute to look. It could be a 10%. Personally, I've never wasted any iodine on an ear bleeding from a tag application. We save it for the big stuff like castrating and dehorning.

OK texan thanks. My dad suggested I use iodine to prevent infection - I don't have a clue what I'm doing :(

He said that his premixed solution was a very low strength, perhaps below 5%, so we wanted to find out how much to water down the 10% solution that we have. The label has no instructions, but says it is for animal treatment.

I won't worry about applying it anymore anyway, you're right about it being for the more important stuff :)

Thanks.
Brett.

We don't water it down but we don't use it for ear tag either. I wouldn't worry about it.

Brett Enright":j7hi5t07 said:
OK when my dad put ear tags in the calves ears, one of them bled. He had a small amount of weak iodine solution left over, but doesn't know at what strength it was.

I have a bottle of 'Strong Iodine Solution' 'Animal Health Care Products'. The strength is 100g/litre or 10%. Now how much do I need to 'water' this down, or what percentage hould the strength be to spray on cut areas of calves to prevent infection?

Thanks.
Brett.

Ear tag improperly put in hit an artery, quit worrying about it, it will quit bleeding. Cows are tough. Need to learn how to install ear tags read the instructions on the bag.

Caustic Burno":1ad83i2u said:
Ear tag improperly put in hit an artery, quit worrying about it, it will quit bleeding. Cows are tough. Need to learn how to install ear tags read the instructions on the bag.

Very blunt, but exactly right. :cboy:

Latest posts