Iodine or Coppertox

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Hello all! Just have one question. I always use iodine to dip navals on newborn calves. There is a producer in my area that uses coppertox. How do you feel on this matter? Their explanation is that the iodine stains the hair worse and since they raise show cattle they don't want stains. In my experience the stains from either product don't last very long. Thank You!
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

Hmmmmmm.......a safe product or a toxic one.....I personally would NEVER recommend coppertox on a navel since a bit is absorbed by the calf and the rest by the mom as she licks it, it burns the navel in all likelihood, and it's green!! I'd much prefer brown on navels if I had to show with a stain.<br>JMHO<br>V
<br>

[email protected]

If you're talking about Kopertox, if you read the label you will notice it states that it is to used on horses or ponies ONLY. I know a lot of people use it for treating foot root in cattle and I even seen some people suggesting it for ringworm on these boards but it should not be used on any cattle period. My vet told me that 20 years ago that it is not to used on cattle and people are still using it on cattle.
<br>

The label on Coppertox (with a C) is recommended for ringworm and footrot. It is an anti-fungal. I wouldn't use it on a calf's navel either, even iodine is harsh, and can cause irritation. I don't use anything and have very little trouble with navel infection. In any case just the cord should be dipped/sprayed not the entire belly. Better yet a black calf won't stain!!!<p>Jason Trowbridge<br>Southern Angus Farms<br>Alberta Canada
<br>

[email protected]

Never heard of coppertox. What's the ingredients and what's the concentration? Where is it manufactured? I found some Copperox on the internet but that's just a different name for Kopertox.
<br>
<ul><li><a href="http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hpb/drugs-dpd/aigroup/ai0107806001.html">http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hpb/drugs-dpd/aigroup/ai0107806001.html</a></ul>

Thanks for your responses. I use gentle iodine. I'm not sure of the concentration. We had a couple of calves die about 4-5 years ago with naval infection that had spread into their body. My vet recommended opening the naval and putting the iodine inside of it to kill any bacteria that may have traveled into it. I have used Kopertox (sp?) on footrot in the past, but now usually just check the hoof to make sure there isn't anything stuck in it and vaccinate with LA-200. Usually clears them up in 2-3 days. As for ringworm, usually I just let it go since I don't raise show cattle or I'll rub some iodine onto the area. <br>Brandy<br>Kansas<p>: Hmmmmmm.......a safe product or a toxic one.....I personally would NEVER recommend coppertox on a navel since a bit is absorbed by the calf and the rest by the mom as she licks it, it burns the navel in all likelihood, and it's green!! I'd much prefer brown on navels if I had to show with a stain.<br>: JMHO<br>: V<p><br>
<br>

[email protected]

Latest posts