Investment

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Reading Millstreamin's thread on stocks made me wonder what you'd think about this investment return.

Initial price was $75,000 with a yearly dividend of $650 and cashed out after 14 years with a total of $202,000.

Would you consider this a pretty good return or is this lower than you'd hope for?

Red Bull Breeder":1r4wz1pe said:
Not that great Joe. Some people can take a $1000.00 and turn it into a $100000.00 in cattle futures in just a few months.
Some loose that much in futures as well.
Never invest more than your willing to loose all investment is at risk.

Jogeephus":wkusemly said:
Would you consider this a pretty good return or is this lower than you'd hope for?

The standard answer is it depends on the risk.
The current fact is that extremely low interest rates are transferring wealth away from traditional savers.
The longer term issue is that our jacked up asset prices and slow growth may reduce USA future returns, compared to the past...

Red Bull Breeder":2a89w0tz said:
Not that great Joe. Some people can take a $1000.00 and turn it into a $100000.00 in cattle futures in just a few months.
If Hillary is not elected president she will probably go back to trading cattle futures.
She did real well with that before by just reading the WSJ. :roll: :lol:

Jogeephus":stw79ofu said:
Reading Millstreamin's thread on stocks made me wonder what you'd think about this investment return.

Initial price was $75,000 with a yearly dividend of $650 and cashed out after 14 years with a total of $202,000.

If it's a single deposit and dividends or interest are allowed to compound it is about a 7.35% return on your investment.

Jogeephus":2fyquiyf said:

I would do it. I just have to sell some RIG stock first. :cry2:

Red Bull Breeder":n7rlezh4 said:

I did better than that one night in a beer joint. And yes, copious amounts of beer were involved along with some good music. I invested my last quarter in a slot machine and got a 1700% return in one night. Net return would have been much higher had I not had to pay for my beers or for the beers for that cute thing cheering me on. Only problem I ran into was when I tried to repeat it over then next few months. Pretty sure I paid for a good percentage of the value of the beer joint only I never got title to it and that cute thing lost interest in me for some reason. Lessons learned the hard way. I am now pretty conservative and now only take baby steps and as long as these are going forward and not backward with little to no risk I'm content.

TexasBred":22f25xt7 said:
Jogeephus":22f25xt7 said:

If it's a single deposit and dividends or interest are allowed to compound it is about a 7.35% return on your investment.

That's about what I calculated it to be as well. 7.2% has been my average on all my cash investments the last 14 years and I have eggs in several baskets. (TB, this of course doesn't include that other thing we've talked about privately. I'm just licking my wounds on that one but there is still a chance - a small glimmer of hope - a glimmer like you see in the brilliance of a diamond nestled in a black hole sixty thousand light years away.) :bang:

Jogeephus":9431nlcz said:
That's about what I calculated it to be as well. 7.2% has been my average on all my cash investments the last 14 years and I have eggs in several baskets. (TB, this of course doesn't include that other thing we've talked about privately. I'm just licking my wounds on that one but there is still a chance - a small glimmer of hope - a glimmer like you see in the brilliance of a diamond nestled in a black hole sixty thousand light years away.) :bang:
That's an excellent return especially when you consider it is 14 years. I've got one investment I"m proud of paying 13% but had a 30 year term and still has 3 years to go. Wife will enjoy it anyway. :lol: Everything else I'm just being really really conservative on.

millstreaminn":3d2m60p8 said:
Jogeephus":3d2m60p8 said:

I would do it. I just have to sell some RIG stock first. :cry2:
The dieties of the market smile on you this day.
RIG up ~12% on the day.

Latest posts