investing in new clippers

Help Support CattleToday:

joe

Reaction score
the Mrs wants to try her hand at clipping a few of these calves this year. We have one of the old HEAVY Oster Stewart shear master sheep shears. Went to TSC to see about getting cattle blades (see other post on TSC employees brain power) and all they could offer was a goat tooth comb. Came home and did some surfing,,,like the Andis. But which one? AG? AG2? AGC? Too confusing! Can someone tell me what to buy, for a beginner, and what blades. Only doing about 5 calves this year.

You can get combs and cutters for any Oster. What size head do you have them? They work as good as any. Better for most things.

I would recommend stablemate or andis. The stablemates are light and multipurpose. You can buy different blades for whatever you want to do. Ours wasn't very expensive and they have worked well. Andis are more for blocking, but you can clips heads as well.

The shear master we have has a 3" head. Big bad boy. Their are just so many options it gets overwhelming for a novice. It's like the coffee shops the Mrs frequents to get that "grande sugar free soy lattee with a half a shot of hazelnut cream, and a dusting of cinnimon", and I get a "cup of coffee, black". Both get ya goin'. So I am thinking one good clipper with blade options, instead of a blocking clipper, a head trimmer, an ear trimmer, a whatever?????

I would suggest that to clip cattle to get the Andis Super 2 speeds. I have a pair of the older model(square grip) Super 2 speeds that I have had for about 7 or 8 years and they have really been good clippers. They are the most trouble free clippers I have ever owned and are powerful enough for most clipping jobs. The only thing I have replaced is the plastic cutter drive assembly (about 1 a year) and the cord. The only thing they don't do well is clip through adhesive show day. They will, but you have to keep the blades oiled to keep them from gumming up.
The blades that I use are the blocking-to fine tune tops and front ends, the medium blades for general rough clipping, and the wide #10's for head, tails, and anywhere you need to get close.
I would keep the shearmasters and get a 20 tooth blocking comb to clip legs with after they are dressed. You can use the 20 tooth goat comb (P7112) for other clipping jobs, such as sale cattle where you don't need to do a really smooth job and are going to do it in advance and let it grow back some. Use some caution with the 20TB blades because they are sharp and pointed on the ends of the teeth and can really cut a calf or a person if they get kicked into them.

I prefer 10's on a 2.5 in head. I don't fit all that much but can a little. I have a set of Andis , square grip. They have been fine but you have your hand over the calf for longer periods and have more opportunity to cut a hole. I will usually do some finish work with Andis a day or two before the show.

I've got a set of the Andis cordless clippers.. they come with the charger and two batteries. I love 'em.. but then, I'm not as handy as I used to be, and I hate cords!

Joe, really depends on WHAT KIND of clipping she wants to do. We use the three different kinds. We use the Sheepmaster 3" 20 toothcomb head to body shear (buzz bald), we use the flatheads (the old Oster steward with the 2.5" head) to clip the face 5-7 days prior to show day, and we use the Andis with the wider blocking head to do all our normal show blocking.
You can use what you have, but I'd be afraid to clip faces with a sheephead - way too dangerous. And they are SOOOO heavy.
The Andis 2-speed (round or square) can be purchased with two different size heads (about $150) - one is considered a flat head (for faces) & one the sheephead type (for blocking). I would recommend getting both heads & the little leather holder for the Andis - to protect them when not in use. You would be surprised how easily they can get bumped & break some teeth.
Clifflem is correct. If you plan on doing any "gluing" at the show, the Andis do not cut the glued hair very well. I generally glue tailheads & can get by with them, but they will get stuck up easily.
I really wouldn't want to tackle body clipping with Andis. Way too small.

Latest posts