Introducing...

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Sam. My daddy is madbeancounter1. I got on so I could get tips for taking care of my Maine/Angus heifer, Halle. I'll be hangin' around, reading posts and asking questions.

My daddy says you're all nice people and I can learn a lot from you, so I plan to try. :cboy:

Now, tell the truth. You just wanted to see if your daddy was relaying the information correctly. ;-)

dancin'-cow-girl":8cfu3icu said:
Ummm, :roll: well what do you think? I believe what he says but, I just want to get it first-hand.

I was just joking Sam.

Your old man seems to be a top knotch feller. ;-)

Hi Sam,

Pay attention to all these nice folks. Ask any questions you have and listen to the answers. If you don't understand the answer ask them to clarify it for you or PM them and tell them what you don't understand. They will help you... and since they know you want to be a vet they will treat you really nice since some of them don't have vets where they live. :cboy:

Be respectful and remember your manners... most all these folks are your elders. :idea:

Above all have fun... If you have a good attitude when you make your posts most everyone else will too. :oops:

:heart: Dad

Sorry folks ... only get to be Daddy a little while longer... pretty soon she'll be smarter than me... if she isn't already. Then I'll be Daaad! :lol: Oh and don't be surprised if she slips and puts a Mr. or Ms. in front of your screen name... That's the way she was raised.

Welcome Sam....alot of great information gets passed along, opinions to boot, take what you need and learn all that you can.
Susie

Welcome Sam. A lot of interesting information can be past around on this board.You would be suprised at the things that you can learn on this board. Welcome kaneranch

Well, I don't know if dad has already told you, but I have a heifer named Halle. She's a Maine Anjou/Angus cross. I will be showing her in the upcoming fair. She weighs about 350 lbs, but the fair is next week and she has to weigh 400 lbs by then. We have already started giving her milk replacer with her regular mix and it's helping a little. Is there any way we can get her to gain weight fast enough to be ready for the fair?

dancin'-cow-girl":2c8nk4x3 said:
Is there any way we can get her to gain weight fast enough to be ready for the fair?
Keep her full. Lots of hay too. And hold her water the night before weigh in. Then let her fill up before she goes across the scales. That will help add a few lbs.Good luck Sam.

Halle weighed 350 (empty - hadn't had but the 2qts of replacer in the am and a few bites of grain) on the nose at the sale barn on Thursday night but she's been eating like a hog these last few days.... Think maybe the cool weather might have something to do with it.... Anyway. I'd say that she's probably about 365 now.

What's the conversion rate average? She's taking 2 quarts of replacer in the morning and 2 in the evening. She's eating between 10 and 14 lbs of show mix at about 15% protein and munching on a little bermuda hay and getting let out in the little pasture at night.

They say it's 1 to 7 - one pound gain per seven pounds feed. I had a steer that did about 1 to 3 or 1 to 5 (on grain, not counting hay). When I added in the hay pounds it did come out to about 1 to 7.

Keep in mind the quality of the feed depends too on the conversion rate...poor quality grain and moldy grass hay won't put on the weight like top notch corn and 3rd cutting alfalfa hay. (Not that I think you're feeding her anything less than the best.)

Milk replacer - what type are we discussing here? and are you mixing it with water and bottle feeding her? I've gotten about 1lb/day gain (more or less) from calves on milk replacer at the standard 1/2lb milk + 2 quarts water twice a day. So I guess that would be 1lb milk replacer to 1 pound gain, right?

I'm not familiar with bermuda hay - up here we have alfalfa and grass. I usually figure alfalfa puts weight on and grass is a filler. At least that's how I feed it during the winter.

So figure the minimum - 10 to 14lbs grain at a 1-7 ratio is about 2lbs/day. Plus milk replacer is another 1lb/day. So you've got about (or at least) 3lb/gain per day right now. Make sense?

I'd say you're doing a good job - to put on 50lbs in what, 7, 10 days? - is at least a 5lb/day gain. You're asking a lot of her but she might be able to do it. I'd probably up the feed that matters (grain and milk) a little - but keep in mind if you up it too much it'll all come squirting out the back end and she won't put on weight.

Also if you change her routine too drastically (like keeping her penned up when she's used to going to pasture) she's not going to eat or put weight on since she's stressed.

Good luck - I hope she makes it and I wish you both the best. :D

The milk replacer is Purina Nurse Chow. Yes, we're mixing it with water, 2 quarts.

My brother's calf, Beta, was seperated from her mother because she was a twin and her mother didn't have enough milk for the both of them, so the breeder keep her seperate for ten weeks before we bought her. So we feed her milk replacer too.

Dad got Halle alfalfa but Halle doesn't really care for it. She'd rather eat grain, hay and grass.

Hi Sam, welcome aboard. Milkmaid is right. A 3# gain is normal good growth. Of course, if she was "empty" at last weigh in and is "full" at next, that could help a lot.
Be sure to arrive as early as you can to the fair, so she has time to settle in & willing to eat & drink. MANY will not drink at a new place. As little as two small heifers drink, I would bring my own water supply. They will be more apt to drink home water.
Also, be sure to be watering them in a bucket or tub, just like you will be watering them at the fair. You can't expect a calf to drink out of a bucket, if they've been drinking out of an automatic waterer.
We use s 15 gallon tub, and walk our cattle to the tub - two at a time. They drink better with some competition. We have a hose in the tub, ready to keep refilling as they drink.
Don't get over-anxious for gain & feed too much grain. You'll lose all the gain you've made if they start scouring.
Keep us posted.

Welcome aboard Sam, glad to have you with us, and make sure you keep us in line !

Wow, MM got a chance to read your posts just now...looks like I have missed seeing you turn into a pro stockman...or should I say woman? Great! :cboy:

I think that Sam is taking a nap so I will post this for her. Actually, I am at the office trying to get ahead so that I won't be so far behind after the fair.

I had Sam's heifer up to the sale barn and weighed her Friday and she gained 25 lbs in 9 days. 2.78/day. Not to bad. Will leave us just a little shy of 400# but a big drink of water should alleviate that little problem.

I ran into fellow named Guy McKenzie at the fairgrounds today. Said he used to make a business of showing cattle and horses and his brother raises show hogs in OK. Anyway, after a 4 year absence he's getting back into showing as his stepdaughter is showing her first steer this year. Came down an offered to help us out and point us in the right direction.

Speaking of which... I am going to post a question related to potatoes on the show board since it really doesn't belong here. ;-)

Anyway, Sam's getting excited. She's planning on fixing up her her stall area and making it her own.

The beautiful bovine contest this year has a theme of "got milk?". She and mother have cooked up a cute idea for it. I'll not steal her thunder and let her tell you all about it.

Speaking of the beautiful bovine contest...

For Halloween the last two years I dressed up as Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz. Since it's "Got milk?" I'm going to wear my dress and mom's going to make me a apron and a matching bandanna for my hair so I look like a milkmaid. Mom is making Halle a bib that says "Got Milk?" on it and a bonnet and dad came up with the idea to make a diaper with a big safety pin.

Latest posts