Introducing...

Help Support CattleToday:

cowdoc

Reaction score
Hi there,
I am a Veterinary Student at Iowa State University with a strong interest in beef medicine, particularly the area of cow/calf and backgrounding. I happened across this site a few weeks ago and have enjoyed reading some of the articles. I thought it might be a good idea to join this forum since I'd like to increase my knowledge of and exposure to the less medical side of the beef industry- I grew up on a farm in North Dakota where my dad raised small grains and beans (no cows :) ). My first exposure to cattle was in highschool when I worked on a diversified sugar beet/small grains and beans/cattle/bison farm, where I started a love affair with beef cattle that hasn't quit since, lol. So with that, I look forward to participating in this forum and learning what I can. If any of you can recommend books to read, websites to visit, people to talk to, etc. I'd love to hear from you!
Sincerely,
Benjamin

Cowdoc, Just picked up a bull from the teaching hospital up there. He had tore his sheath. When I dropped him off, I got to cruise on into town and see Storm and Knapp implode.

Hi there,
Thanks for the warm welcome- I'm a third year vet student, there are currently 100 people in my class- I'd say roughly 15-25% of them are interested in bovine medicine.
Benjamin

Welcome aboard doc. I do hope you will consider FL when you start your practice. :lol:

Wlecome aboard!! Vet school was what I always wanted to do. I wanted to be one of those vets that makes calls to farms and has his Porta-Vet in the bed of his truck. Unfortunately my grades are not good enough to get me into Vet School...lol. I have thought about transferring to University of Florida to study Beef Science.

I was reading recently about the present and future shortage there is for large animal vets. I didn't have to read it. We all know it. I applaud for your interest and rest assured, you can practice in any area of the United States you choose. I can only hope it's Virginia.
fitz.

CopeMan":3f3t2o0k said:
Wlecome aboard!! Vet school was what I always wanted to do. I wanted to be one of those vets that makes calls to farms and has his Porta-Vet in the bed of his truck. Unfortunately my grades are not good enough to get me into Vet School...lol. I have thought about transferring to University of Florida to study Beef Science.

Hey CopeMan you couldn't go wrong doing that. I have friend that graduated from there and he runs a 15,000 acre operation. Of course his folks own the place which helps. I am much older than him but met him by buying some registered stock from him. Nice guy and knows a lot. He told me about the program in college and how good it was.

flaboy":2gr5ucy5 said:
CopeMan":2gr5ucy5 said:

Hey CopeMan you couldn't go wrong doing that. I have friend that graduated from there and he runs a 15,000 acre operation. Of course his folks own the place which helps. I am much older than him but met him by buying some registered stock from him. Nice guy and knows a lot. He told me about the program in college and how good it was.

Well, UF would be my first choice ad Im sure there are plenty of places down there that I could get a job.

Glad to see another vet join the board!! To all of you who want cowdoc - Iowa wants to keep him. Can I convince you to set up practice in NW Iowa, cowdoc?