Introducing the weanlings to the rest of the bunch . . .

Help Support CattleToday:

Kathie in Thorp

Reaction score
Everybody here probably knows we brought home young heifers this weekend (3). We've moved the butcher steers to another lot, secure, and they can't escape regardless of the excitement nearby (I'm pretty sure). New 5-6 month heifers have been in a dry lot w/ shelter since Sunday, which our cows/other young heifers and one small steer have been locked out of for a few days (6 in that bunch). We're starting to get the drizzly, cool weather, so I want to open up the gate between the pasture (15 acres), and dry lot (60 X 100) with shelter (16 X 30). We feed out in the dry lot, not in the shelter. I think they'll be fine, with plenty of room to sort it out. The big girls don't pick on little ones -- they just don't let them get very friendly. :2cents: ?

if the new heifers are gentle an you have good fences i think your safe turning them out with your cows.

Good fence. A little barbwire, where they probably wouldn't normally go, out at the end of the pasture -- otherwise woven wire. 2 of the new heifers are gentle, i.e. not crazy, but not much human-handled. They are in w/ a bottle calf, and I think some of her calm dispo has rubbed off on them in the last few days. And our other cattle aren't wild, crazy-eyed.

Open the gate, they'll sort things out. There's a chance the older girls will try to keep the new ones away but unless they're really timid that resolves itself in short order. We had a barn area that we only opened one door part way for them to come and go. One old cow would stand in the door and leave everything else except her calf outside. Opened a second door and the problem went away, she couldn;t gaurd both and finally just gave up. That was one year when we calved February and had temps in the teens and multiple feet of snow.

Sounds like a plan to me.
If it works for you, great.

I personally would quarantine them for at least 2 weeks. But that's just me being me! :roll:
SL

My hubby is a sweetie! I'm puny today (as are the grandbabies -- we must have shared something over the weekend), but we needed to integrate the 3 new heifers into the rest of the bunch. I was not much help, but the big feeder is turned long-ways instead of sideways next to the barn, gate is open from pasture area (where the bunch was), to the dry lot/feeding/shelter area where the littles were sequestered. The gang's all here, and it's peaceful. This is "my" thing, but I absolutely could not do this without his constant help! :heart:

Latest posts