Introducing new calves to pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

RefugeRanch

Reaction score
I have recently purchased two holstien bull calves (150lbs each) and am trying to gather information on how to introduce them to a alfalfa/timothy pasture in the spring. What concerns should I be looking for?

Thank you

I'd make sure they were vaccinated and all that, check your fences and make sure they are good...start them out on a small section at first then you can keep an eye on them for a few days before you turn em loose.

Do I need to be concerned about to much rich alfalfa to soon? Bloating?

Thank you

RefugeRanch":12wdj2p0 said:

Thank you

Sure wouldn;t hurt to have out a bloat block a few days before they go on the alfalfa pasture and keep it available for a week or 2 afterwards.

RefugeRanch":2xsc1nds said:

Thank you

Yes, you need to make sure they're not hungry when you turn them out. Make sure they got access to hay as well as pasture so as to reduce the risk of bloat.

dun":frjwgicq said:
RefugeRanch":frjwgicq said:

Thank you

Sure wouldn;t hurt to have out a bloat block a few days before they go on the alfalfa pasture and keep it available for a week or 2 afterwards.

Bloat block?? Have never seen this offered at the feed stores, the vet or anywhere else down here. What's in it??

Cut them, band them, or otherwise de-bull them as soon as possible. If there is a cow nearby that comes into heat, not a fence in the world will hold em. Better to do it while they are young. Unless, of course, you are raising them as breeding stock. Then you better have them in a good sturdy corral when they get a little bigger.