Introducing Myself

Help Support CattleToday:

Nice to meet you. I too did not think to introduce myself. I just felt so comfortable - like you all were neighbors. Kind of like being at a sale and having a great conversation and then asking who was that when someone walked away. I really enjoy reading all the posts and think I can really learn something here. Thanks for letting me in and making me feel at home.

I'm about 30 miles west of Decatur, near a little place called Mt. Hope. My operation is JP Farms. The type of operation I run is risky. I buy mostly from salebarns. I try to pick the ones I can make the most profit from. I buy them poor and wormy or fat and healthy. I sell them at their fullest potential. I may keep a few over to raise calves, it just depends on the market. My herd is multicolored. Sometimes the market around here favors one color or the other. I try to be able to fufill this market. I am a fanatic about record keeping and statistics. I try to predict when the best time is to turn a profit. I firmly believe the biggest thing that affects the end profit is the purchase price. I would not suggest this type of operation to anyone, if you are not careful you can loose a lot of money doing it this way. On the other hand if you can play your cards right you can make a pretty good profit.
I know I do things differant from a lot of people on this board. I'm not saying I am correct. It just works for me. I have traveled to about 90 percent of the U.S. on hunting trips. I have always enjoyed looking around at the farms and seeing how other folks run their operations. It is interesting how people cope with differant problems in their part of the world. Around here you can't leave square bales stacked outside uncovered due to the humidity. Our square bales are only 40 to 60 pounds. A far cry from the ones in the western states. We don't have to deal with the snow like our neighbors to the north. I enjoy reading post from people in other parts of the country.
Now that you know all about me maybe I won't be so longwinded in the future

Bama, here in NY we can't even stack big round bales unless they are covered. Humidity & rain - killer!! We find the big round dry bales can be kept in a single line pretty well - better if they are net wrapped. It really sheds the water.
A lot of big round bales are put up as baleage. That works the best here. In the spring, you can't hardly dry hay, if you wait for the weather, you'll end up putting it up 4th of July - if you're lucky. We like to do ours 1st or 2nd week of June. Dairymen will put up haylage late May.