Introducing Myself

Help Support CattleToday:

Bama

Reaction score
I've been lurking for a few weeks and have posted a time or two. I wanted to get to know the ropes before really introducing myself. I have read through most all of the beginners threads and think I know most of you that been around cattle for a while. Some are young here that know a lot about cattle. I'm impressed how the experienced ones pass on knowledge to beginners. Someone new to raising cattle can get sound advice here. I fit in somewhere in the middle. I'm not a old experienced cowhand. I do feel old sometime though. I have been around cattle for about 35 years. As a young lad I had all the chores to do that comes along with cattle. Later I mostly helped my parents out. As my parents got older I did more of the chores for them. My dad passed away a few years back and my mom has decided its time quit the cattle business. I built a house on some of the same land we ran cattle on years ago. Now my moms herd is down to about 30 from a max of about 150 in years past. She said she just didn't like seeing that land go to waste without something running on it. Thats when I got into it again. I guess its more out of respect than anything. I make a little but I don't really care as much about the profits as I do the satisfaction of carrying on a tradition. I'm more of a hobbie farmer. I want to make a little profit but I make far better at my dayjob working for a major manufactur as a maintenance man. The farming background helped me land a good job and I feel like I owe it to myself to keep at it. I'm now 41 and currently have only have 15 head. I do more of a stocker operation. I'm like everone else, I'm waiting to see what this border thing is gonna do. As my mom gets out of the business I plan to get in deeper. When I retire from my dayjob I expect to enjoy the farming l did as a kid.
Some of those old post were tempting to post to and bring back into discussion. I think I'll just reply to some of the most memorable ones here.

1) Feed what is cheapest in your area. If it is not abundant in your area don't bother with it.
2) 1 cow and 1 calf per acre works here. Don't try this in most places. To know how many to stock per acre talk to someone local to your area.
3) I won't use mycotil. Ain't no cow worth the risk to myself.
4) If a cow has been down awhile, long birth, sick for a few days, stuff coming out in places that it aint supposed to, etc... yes call the Vet.
5) Cattle bought at aution are at risk, always isolate and vaccinate.
6) Any cow that jumps fences, bad temper, not a good mother, hard to catch etc... should grow wheels.
7) Spray weeds in early growth stages
8) A tractor is a must for a large operation. ATV's are handy on any operation.
9) All operations are differant. If I works for you it is the right thing to do.
10) All cows are the same color on the inside.
11) Cows have 2 purposes on earth. Milk and beef. They can make pets but are more expensive than dogs.
12) I make about $75 to $125 per head. If you plan to get rich, I warned you so don't be dissapointed.
And one for the jokes board
Do you know why it's called P.M.S.?
Mad Cow Disease was taken!

I have been around cattle for quite a few years, but I have learned a lot from the way people do things in differant parts of the country. I enjoy reading this board and look forward to discussions in the future.

BAMA

I'll extend my welcome as well.

There are some here that should do what you did BAMA...
just sit back, kick yer feet up, grab your beverage of choice and listen for a spell. Let all this info soak in for a while.

Glad to have ya aboard.

As the others have said,welcome. I am fairly new to the forum as well and have yet to buy my first cow. I know what you mean about tradition,we are the 5th generation on the farm we have. We will try to carry on what our family has done here since the 1850's. I am sure you will fit in just fine on this board. :cboy:

Hey Bama, welcome aboard. I'll share something for your sake:

I just spent the weekend hunting quail in west Texas with an old buddy. We grew up together and he has by far the best dogs I've ever even thought about hunting over. On top of that, he is in incredibly good shape. Between him and all his dogs there's not one ounce of body fat. That man can hunt harder than any human I've ever met and can wear out more dogs in one cool day than anybody I've ever tried to keep up with.

Anyway, he has another good friend visiting him right now, from the great state of Alabama. That guy is older than us, just turned 60. He is one tough hombre, let me tell you. I hope I'm in half as good of shape as him when I turn 60. He's been back in Texas for several days now and hunted the whole time. He also has exceptional dogs. After a few days of hunting he has all ten toes taped up and his knees are swollen badly. He's limping a little but not complaining. For some reason the limping stops and he can break into a dead run when the dogs go on point.

He told me a joke that I'll pass on to you. He said a good old boy from Alabama had a friend from Texas come over to hunt. They were driving down the road to go hunting and a coyote ran in front of them. The Texan said "What was that?" and the Alabama boy said "A coyote!"

The Texan said "Oh. Didn't recognize it. They're a lot bigger in Texas."

Directly a coon ran in front of them. The Texan said "What was that?" and the Alabama boy said "A coon!"

The Texan said "Oh. Didn't recognize it. They're a lot bigger in Texas."

A little further down the road and they saw a big turtle crawling across the road. The Texas boy asked "What was that?"

The Alabama boy said "A tick!"

Hey Bama, glad you're here. Good folks from Bama country. I'm glad to be back on the boards. Sorry I got a little long winded.

Craig-TX

Thanks for all the warm welcome's. I can relate to that Texan joke. I spent a week in in College Station. I ordered steak at a resturant. They wiped down the table before the steak came out. When it arrived it was hanging over the plate. You could not even see the plate.

Bama, welcome and if your future posts are half as interesting to read as the one at the top of this page, I for one count on getting a lot of enjoyment from them.

Take care.

Latest posts