Intro

Help Support CattleToday:

sbranch

Reaction score
Hi all. Completely new to cattle. How I got here…
After spending quite a bit of time around the Mediterranean, especially in the South of France, I noticed the connection people have with their food and its sources. You buy local products and you know where it came from, often direct from the producer In many places, the agriculture defines the region and the people. Whether it's lavender, tomatoes, chestnuts, pigs, or grapes, there is a passion for agriculture. Their Market Day culture really helps to reinforce this.

That is a sharp contrast to what we see here at home, where most people think, "My food comes from the grocery store." They are completely disconnected from the source of their food, and don't care. It doesn't matter that a local farm has been producing the best tasting tomatoes for the past 5 generations when the grocery store has a cheaper basket of tomatoes, shipped in from 5000 miles away that were grown in foreign country where the soil, fertilizer, and handling are completely unknown and uncontrolled. Consumers have turned their food supply into an Amazon model where it's the variety and lowest price that matters, not necessarily quality.

I think this leads to an overall mindset where there is no longer respect, nor care, for the farmer. If one fails, no problem, we just source their products from elsewhere and go on with life. An idiot dancing on TikTok is seen as more valuable to society than a farmer who feeds thousands. The only time I hear about local farms is when they are turned into a new subdivision called "ThisUsedToBeTheXXXX Farm"

Unfortunately, this mentality will lead to there be no agriculture left. This is why my wife and I decided we wanted in on this fight. We want to try and use the knowledge gained gained through our success in other business to help reconnect people to the source of their food, and care about where it comes from. Cattle appealed to us more than farming, so here we are.

Not all pollyanna about this and know that story-book tale isn't going to make the very tough road any easier. Trying to educate ourselves as much as possible while searching for a place to setup base.

Located in Florida.

Welcome.
I've been in agriculture all my life (corn, cattle, hay ,chickens) plus holding down a full time job.
It's a lot of work and very little free time ( I never minded having little free time, rather be working)
With the right mindset you will make it.
Good luck.

Welcome, I like your reasoning for wanting to farm. I believe as farmers we need to be doing everything possible to get people connected back to the source of their food and put a face with who's hand that money is passing through.

Where ar
Hi all. Completely new to cattle. How I got here…
After spending quite a bit of time around the Mediterranean, especially in the South of France, I noticed the connection people have with their food and its sources. You buy local products and you know where it came from, often direct from the producer In many places, the agriculture defines the region and the people. Whether it's lavender, tomatoes, chestnuts, pigs, or grapes, there is a passion for agriculture. Their Market Day culture really helps to reinforce this.

That is a sharp contrast to what we see here at home, where most people think, "My food comes from the grocery store." They are completely disconnected from the source of their food, and don't care. It doesn't matter that a local farm has been producing the best tasting tomatoes for the past 5 generations when the grocery store has a cheaper basket of tomatoes, shipped in from 5000 miles away that were grown in foreign country where the soil, fertilizer, and handling are completely unknown and uncontrolled. Consumers have turned their food supply into an Amazon model where it's the variety and lowest price that matters, not necessarily quality.

I think this leads to an overall mindset where there is no longer respect, nor care, for the farmer. If one fails, no problem, we just source their products from elsewhere and go on with life. An idiot dancing on TikTok is seen as more valuable to society than a farmer who feeds thousands. The only time I hear about local farms is when they are turned into a new subdivision called "ThisUsedToBeTheXXXX Farm"

Unfortunately, this mentality will lead to there be no agriculture left. This is why my wife and I decided we wanted in on this fight. We want to try and use the knowledge gained gained through our success in other business to help reconnect people to the source of their food, and care about where it comes from. Cattle appealed to us more than farming, so here we are.

Not all pollyanna about this and know that story-book tale isn't going to make the very tough road any easier. Trying to educate ourselves as much as possible while searching for a place to setup base.

Located in Florida
Where at in Florida?

Where ar

Where at in Florida?
We're located in SWFL, but are open to just about anywhere in the state. So far we've visited a few properties for sale from around the i-4 area and south, trying to get some first-hand knowledge about the land, the general agricultural environment, the cattle environment (especially why current owners are getting out), and getting a feel for how long it might be before new residential developments will be bumping up to the property.
We plan to to do the same in N FL and out into the panhandle over the next few months.

Where do you stand on the importation of beef and relabeling it as USDA product?
"Cattle appeal to us more than farming." There will come a time in your life when those words will come back to haunt you.
Picking yourself up off the ground after trying to block an 800 lb steer with a pipegate is a common example. (expect to lose some
hide and move slow until you know you have no broken parts,)

Is there anyone in your family with an Ag background with whom you can comirserate (sp?) It will take whole hog dedication to
succeed so I would urge you to consider some type of apprenticeship before you offer up your wife, life and first born child.
Just remember, whether you think you can or you can't, you will probably be right. (Henry Ford i think) Best of Luck

Latest posts