international 1086?

Help Support CattleToday:

SALTBRANCH2

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with these? I found one for a good price. From the pics/video its been used hard but in good running condition and price seems right. Any known issues to look for on these? I am going to check it this weekend if it don't sell before then

Rough riding tractors, hard to shift, and torque amplifier will probably soon need replacing if it hasn't been done already. That being said, they are pretty much bullet proof, and see a lot with 10-20k hours. I hesitated at replacing our TA but the dealer said once being rebuilt, they have never had one back and expects them to go another 30 years.

For shifting you just need to be patient, for ours - put throttle at 1100 rpm, push in clutch, count to 5 and it will slide ride into gear. I wouldn't want to have it as a loader tractor, but for pretty much everything else it is not a big deal. I also put an air suspension seat in and it now rides twice as nice.

Doors are hinged in front instead of back which a lot of people complain about, but never bothered me unless getting in and out constantly.

All in all, I think they are good tractors for the price they bring. I would say like any tractor - consider shape of tires, condition of cab & air conditioning, oil leaks (some are to be expected in an older tractor) but shouldn't be excessive, check bushings & spindles in front end, and whether it smokes a lot.

I made a poor purchase when I got mine, and ended up putting more in repairs than what I paid for it. But as it sits now with new front end, new TA & clutch, new air ride seat, air conditioning rebuild, new stereo, & new tires, all over 10 year period, I do not regret fixing things on it.

SALTBRANCH2":79jlfrqq said:
Anyone have experience with these? I found one for a good price. From the pics/video its been used hard but in good running condition and price seems right. Any known issues to look for on these? I am going to check it this weekend if it don't sell before then

Have a 986 and that sob if you shift to fast will get caught between 2 gears and stop plus TA issues If you are willing to deal with TA issues by all means get it but otherwise good strong running tractor few design flaws like everything else. The ride is better on a buckboard. IMO it drinks fuel like an ox drinks water.

On attributes, fast starting without an aid helps to determine compression and internal engine condition. I learned that "ether" in Texas in April means something is dreadfully wrong. But it was a Ford 3000 and I had been "lusting in my heart" (Jimmy Carter) for one and I was blindsided.....soon learned to pay attention......$1k in parts, inframe and I did the work.

On fuel, I had a deere 4230DC 100 hp., 6 cyl 400 cu in, nat. asp., row crop 2wd. and it liked it too. Current work tractor (since I retired) is a direct injected, nat. asp., B 3.3 NA Cummins, .047 gal/hr/actual in-use HP. I'm using the same implements with the current Branson 6530C 4wd I used with the Deere. It came standard with a high back, arm rested, air seat plus a fist full of other amenities.

I have one bought a nice one six years ago. It was is cheap horse power but i looked at several and bought a good one, and it cost more than some of them. I use it for tillage only. It pulls a strip tiller in spring and a 496 disk in fall thats all it does. Gets about 250 hours a year. They shift like crap compared to a modern tractor. No matter how good the price is it will not be a good loader tractor. For what they are a good solid tractor. If you can go the field work with out changing gears 50/11 times they are great. I have done very little to mine i think a front seal, seal for lift arms, new tires, and new ac. And the modern steps help with the backwards door. Every since i was a kid i wanted a 10. Would do it again for sure.

Latest posts